On Thursday, Feb. 14, Iowa snuck past Penn State 74-72 in conference play. The Hawkeyes stay unbeaten against Penn State this season at 2-0. Roy Devyn Marble led the Hawkeyes and got a team-high 22 points and three rebounds. Melsahn Basabe also had a good outing, scoring 11 points and adding six rebounds. Devonte (DJ) Newbill finished with a game-high 26 points and eight rebounds for the Nittany Lions. Next up for Iowa (16-9, 5-7 Big Ten) is Minnesota (18-6, 6-5 Big Ten) on Sunday, Feb. 17 at home.
Iowa Game Notes
- The last time Iowa started the season 16-9 was 2004.
- The Hawkeyes have won two close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Iowa is 19-29 in close games.
- The Hawkeyes have won 90 percent of the time this season (9-1) after recording 74 or more total points.
- Iowa has won 86 percent of the time this season (12-2) when its field goal percentage has been 44.4 percent or better.
- Iowa has won 77 percent of the time this season (10-3) after committing 13 or fewer turnovers.
- Iowa has won every game this season (8-0) when opponents record 10 or fewer free throws made.
- This season Iowa has won 100 percent of the time (4-0) when Roy Devyn Marble has 22 points or more, 78 percent of the time (7-2) when Melsahn Basabe has four field goals made or more, and 75 percent of the time (12-4) when Aaron White has four free throws made or more.
- The top two scorers (Roy Devyn Marble and Mike Gesell) accounted for 47.2 percent of the points.
- Roy Devyn Marble has led the team in scoring in seven out of 25 games this season.
- Adam Woodbury has led the team in rebounding in five out of 25 games this season.
- This marks the seventh 20-point game of Roy Devyn Marble's career.
Penn State Game Notes
- The Nittany Lions have lost two times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Penn State is 34-25 in close games.
- This loss extended the Nittany Lions losing streak to 12 games.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill recorded a team season high in field goals made with 11.
- Jermaine Marshall tallied a team season high in assists with 10.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill accounted for 36.1 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Devonte (DJ) Newbill and Ross Travis) accounted for 41.3 percent of the rebounds.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has led the team in scoring 10 times and in rebounding six times in 24 games this season.
- This game was the first double-digit assist game of Jermaine Marshall's career.
- Jermaine Marshall recorded a double-double. It was the second of his career.
- Jermaine Marshall set a career high with 10 assists.
- This marks the eighth 20-point game of Devonte (DJ) Newbill's career.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has eight straight double-digit point games.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill set career highs with 11 field goals made and three three-pointers.