Penn State 72
(8-16, 7-10 home)
Venue: Bryce Jordan Center
9:00PM ET / 6:00PM PT, February 14, 2013
||R Devyn Marble 22
||A Woodbury 7
||A White 3
||D (DJ) Newbill 26
||D (DJ) Newbill 8
||J Marshall 10
Penn State lost by a slim margin to Iowa 74-72 in conference play on Thursday, Feb. 14. With the loss, the Nittany Lions stay winless against Iowa this season at 0-2. The Nittany Lions got a game-high 26 points and eight rebounds from Devonte (DJ) Newbill. Jermaine Marshall played his way to a double-double with 14 points and 10 assists. Roy Devyn Marble got a team-high 22 points and three rebounds for the Hawkeyes. This makes three losses in a row for the Nittany Lions. Penn State (8-16, 0-12 Big Ten) gets fourth-ranked Michigan (21-4, 8-4 Big Ten) on the road on Sunday, Feb. 17.
Penn State Game Notes
- The last time PSU started the season 8-16 was 2009.
- PSU beat the spread by 5.5 points. That makes the 8th time this season the Nittany Lions have beaten the spread.
- The Nittany Lions have been unlucky two times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Penn State is 34-25 in close games.
- Penn State has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-3) after recording 29 or fewer rebounds.
- When the opposition records 40 or more rebounds this season, Penn State has lost 100 percent of the time (0-4).
- When the opposition records seven or more blocks this season, Penn State has lost 100 percent of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 44.4 percent or better this season, Penn State has lost 91 percent of the time (1-10).
- The Nittany Lions set season highs for assists (17), three-pointers (eight), and three-point percentage (47.1).
- The last time PSU recorded at least 17 assists was Nov 16, 2011 against Long Island.
- Penn State has recorded fewer free throws made than their opponents for the past 12 games.
- This is the 15th game at home this season--PSU has a -1.3 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill recorded a team season high in field goals made with 11.
- Jermaine Marshall tallied a team season high in assists with 10.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill accounted for 36.1 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Devonte (DJ) Newbill and Ross Travis) accounted for 41.3 percent of the rebounds.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has led the team in scoring 10 times and in rebounding 6 times in 24 games this season.
- This game was the first double-digit assist game of Jermaine Marshall's career.
- Jermaine Marshall recorded a double-double. It was the second of his career.
- Jermaine Marshall had a career high with 10 assists.
- This marks the eighth 20-point game of Devonte (DJ) Newbill's career.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has eight straight double-digit point games.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill had career highs with 11 field goals made and three three-pointers.
Iowa Game Notes
- The Hawkeyes won this one, but have lost five times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Iowa is 19-29 in close games.
- The top two scorers (Roy Devyn Marble and Mike Gesell) accounted for 47.2 percent of the points.
- Roy Devyn Marble has led the team in scoring seven times in 25 games this season.
- Adam Woodbury has led the team in rebounding five times in 25 games this season.
- This marks the seventh 20-point game of Roy Devyn Marble's career.