Jacksonville State 81
(15-9, 7-6 away)
Morehead State 85
(12-14, 9-4 home)
Venue: Ellis T. Johnson Arena
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, February 14, 2013
||T Gaines 31
||T Gaines 5
||B Williams 5
||B Turner 19
||C Posthumus 9
||D Atkinson 7
Morehead State squared off with Jacksonville State on Thursday, Feb. 14 and came out on top against the Gamecocks 85-81 in conference action. The season series between the two teams is now tied at 1-1. Devon Atkinson was exceptional for the Eagles and got a career-high 18 points on 62.5 percent shooting. Chad Posthumus had 13 points and added nine rebounds (3 Blk 3 Stl). For the Gamecocks, Tarvin Gaines finished with a career-high 31 points and five rebounds. Morehead State (12-14, 6-6 OVC) welcomes Tennessee Tech (9-15, 3-9 OVC) on Saturday, Feb. 16.
Morehead State Game Notes
- Morehead State started 12-14 during the 2000 and 1998 seasons (since 1996).
- The Eagles have won three close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Morehead State is 23-24 in close games.
- The Eagles have won every game this season (5-0) after recording 85 or more total points.
- This season Morehead State has won 71 percent of the time (5-2) when Devon Atkinson has seven assists or more.
- Morehead State has been outshot by their opponents in field goal percentage for the past six games.
- This is the 13th game at home this season--MSU has a 6.8 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Bakari Turner and Devon Atkinson) accounted for 43.5 percent of the points.
- Chad Posthumus accounted for 33.3 percent of the team's rebounds.
- The bench recorded more points (45) than the starters (40).
- Bakari Turner has led the team in scoring in four out of 26 games this season.
- Chad Posthumus has led the team in rebounding in eight out of 26 games this season.
Jacksonville State Game Notes
- The Gamecocks have lost two times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Jacksonville State is 19-36 in close games.
- Tarvin Gaines recorded a team season high in points with 31.
- Tarvin Gaines accounted for 38.2 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Tarvin Gaines and Nick Cook) accounted for 42.8 percent of the rebounds.
- Tarvin Gaines has led the team in scoring nine times and in rebounding eight times in 24 games this season.
- Brian Williams has nine straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the sixth 20-point game of Tarvin Gaines's career.
- Tarvin Gaines has 10 straight double-digit point games.
- Tarvin Gaines set career highs with 31 points and three three-pointers.
- This was the third foul out of the season for Rinaldo Mafra.