On Thursday, Feb. 14, Western Carolina got by North Carolina-Greensboro 70-68 in conference action. The Catamounts remain undefeated against North Carolina-Greensboro this season at 2-0. The Catamounts got the win with a game-high 21 points and four assists from Trey Sumler. Tawaski King also had a solid game, scoring 13 points and adding six rebounds. For the Spartans, Derrell Armstrong got a team-high 18 points and three assists. This makes three wins in a row for the Catamounts. Western Carolina (11-15, 8-6 SoCon) takes on Elon (17-8, 10-3 SoCon) on Saturday, Feb. 16 on the road.
Western Carolina Game Notes
- The last time WCU started the season 11-15 was 2005.
- The win over North Carolina-Greensboro extended the Western Carolina winning streak to three games.
- WCU beat the spread by 4.5 points. That makes the 11th time this season the Catamounts have beaten the spread.
- The Catamounts have won four close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Western Carolina is 27-28 in close games.
- WCU has won 82 percent of the time this season (9-2) when opponents record 21 or fewer field goals made.
- This is the second win of the season where the Catamounts came back after being down at halftime.
- The top two scorers (Trey Sumler and Tawaski King) accounted for 48.5 percent of the points.
- Trey Sumler has led the team in scoring in 17 out of 26 games this season.
- James Sinclair has led the team in rebounding in five out of 26 games this season.
- This marks the 16th 20-point game of Trey Sumler's career.
- Trey Sumler has five straight double-digit point games.
North Carolina-Greensboro Game Notes
- The Spartans have lost three times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, North Carolina-Greensboro is 15-24 in close games.
- The top two scorers (Derrell Armstrong and Nicholas Paulos) accounted for 50.0 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Trevis Simpson and Kayel Locke) accounted for 43.3 percent of the rebounds.
- Derrell Armstrong has led the team in scoring five times in 24 games this season.
- Trevis Simpson has led the team in rebounding four times in 24 games this season.
- Trevis Simpson has 10 straight double-digit point games.