Long Island 80
(14-11, 6-7 away)
(9-17, 4-6 home)
Venue: Multipurpose Activity Center
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, February 14, 2013
||J Olasewere 23
||E Reed 8
||J Brickman 9
||E Waite 24
||S Spinella 10
||J Steele 5
On Thursday, Feb. 14, Long Island won on the road against Monmouth 80-66 in NEC play. With a record of 2-0, the Blackbirds stay unbeaten against Monmouth this season. C.J. Garner played brilliantly for the Blackbirds and put up 20 points and six rebounds (4 Ast 4 Stl). Jamal Olasewere put up his third straight game with 20 points or more, scoring a team-high 23 points on 66.7 percent shooting in 36 minutes. Jamal Olasewere had a team-high 23 points and added eight rebounds. For the Hawks, Ed Waite got a career-high 24 points and eight rebounds (3 Blk 3 Stl). This makes three wins in a row for the Blackbirds. Long Island (14-11, 9-4 NEC) gets Fairleigh Dickinson (7-18, 2-10 NEC) on their home court on Saturday, Feb. 16.
Long Island Game Notes
- The win over Monmouth extended the Long Island winning streak to three games.
- Long Island has won every game this season (6-0) when its field goal percentage has been 51.0 percent or better.
- The Blackbirds have won 89 percent of the time this season (8-1) after recording 39 or more rebounds.
- LIU has won 92 percent of the time this season (12-1) when opponents record 33 or fewer rebounds.
- LIU has won 89 percent of the time this season (8-1) after holding an opponent to under 40.3 percent field goal percentage.
- This season Long Island has won 83 percent of the time (5-1) when E.J. Reed has five free throws made or more and 71 percent of the time (10-4) when Jason Brickman has nine assists or more.
- The Blackbirds set season highs for blocks (eight) and turnovers (25).
- The last time LIU recorded at least 25 turnovers was Feb 06, 2010 against St. Francis (NY).
- The Blackbirds have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past 10 games.
- Long Island has recorded fewer steals than their opponents for the past eight games.
- This is the fifth win of the season where the Blackbirds came back after being down at halftime.
- The top two scorers (Jamal Olasewere and C.J. Garner) accounted for 53.7 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Jamal Olasewere and E.J. Reed) accounted for 41.0 percent of the rebounds.
- Jamal Olasewere has led the team in scoring 13 times and in rebounding 18 times in 25 games this season.
- This marks the 21st 20-point game of Jamal Olasewere's career.
- Jamal Olasewere has three straight 20+ point games.
- This marks the fifth 20-point game of C.J. Garner's career.
- C.J. Garner has three straight double-digit point games.
- This was the fifth foul out of the season for E.J. Reed.
Monmouth Game Notes
- Ed Waite recorded a team season high in field goals made with 11 and blocks with three.
- Ed Waite accounted for 36.3 percent of the team's points.
- Stephen Spinella accounted for 30.3 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Ed Waite has led the team in scoring three times in 26 games this season.
- Stephen Spinella has led the team in rebounding seven times in 26 games this season.
- Jesse Steele set a career high with six steals.
- Stephen Spinella recorded the first double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Stephen Spinella recorded a double-double. It was the first of his career.
- Stephen Spinella set career highs with 10 rebounds and nine defensive rebounds.
- This marks the third 20-point game of Ed Waite's career.
- Ed Waite has three straight double-digit point games.
- Ed Waite set career highs with 24 points and 11 field goals made.