Baylor turned the ball over only eight times and easily knocked off West Virginia 80-60 in Big 12 play on Wednesday, Feb. 13. The game was close at halftime, with Baylor up 31-27, but then it turned into a blowout in the second half. Rico Gathers had a big game for the Bears and put up a season-high 22 points and nine rebounds. Pierre Jackson also had an excellent game, scoring 15 points and adding nine assists. For the Mountaineers, Eron Harris got a team-high 19 points on 66.7 percent shooting. Baylor (16-8, 7-4 Big 12) heads to 10th-ranked Kansas State (18-5, 7-3 Big 12) on Saturday, Feb. 16.
Baylor Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 4:30 left to go.
- Baylor started 16-8 during the 2010 and 2000 seasons (since 1996).
- Baylor beat the spread by 12 points. That makes the 10th time this season the Bears have beaten the spread.
- This was the seventh blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, Baylor has been on the winning end of 40 blowout games.
- Baylor has won every game this season (5-0) when its field goal percentage has been 51.9 percent or better.
- The Bears have won every game this season (5-0) after recording 22 or more assists.
- Baylor has won every game this season (7-0) when opponents record 20 or fewer field goals made.
- Baylor has won 80 percent of the time this season (12-3) after holding an opponent to under 43.5 percent field goal percentage.
- This season Baylor has won 100 percent of the time (5-0) when Brady Heslip plays 33 minutes or more, 86 percent of the time (6-1) when Pierre Jackson has six free throws made or more, and 83 percent of the time (5-1) when Rico Gathers has nine rebounds or more.
- Baylor set season lows for rebounds (23) and turnovers (eight).
- The Bears have recorded more three-pointers than their opponents for the past nine games.
- This is the 14th game at home this season--Baylor has a 16.7 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Rico Gathers and Brady Heslip) accounted for 52.5 percent of the points.
- Rico Gathers accounted for 39.1 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Rico Gathers has led the team in rebounding in six out of 24 games this season.
- Pierre Jackson has seven straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the third 20-point game of Brady Heslip's career.
- This marks the first 20-point game of Rico Gathers's career.
West Virginia Game Notes
- This was the third blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past five seasons, WVU has been on the losing end of nine blowout games.
- Eron Harris accounted for 31.6 percent of the team's points.
- Eron Harris has led the team in scoring six times in 24 games this season.
- Dominique Rutledge has led the team in rebounding four times in 24 games this season.
- Eron Harris has four straight double-digit point games.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Gary Browne.