West Virginia vs. Baylor: Full Game Preview
|West Virginia||A Murray 9.5||A Murray 6.5||J Staten 3.0|
|Baylor||P Jackson 19.1||I Austin 9.8||P Jackson 6.1|
Baylor hosts West Virginia at Ferrell Center on Wednesday. The game tips off at 9 p.m. EST and you can see it on ESPN 2. The Bears last played the Mountaineers on Dec. 23, 2011 and won 83-81.
West Virginia is in seventh place in the Big 12 and will be trying to close the gap with Baylor, who is currently in fifth place.
In a 75-48 beatdown of Texas Tech on Feb. 9, Pierre Jackson put up 15 points and 7 assists for the Bears. He contributes a team-high 19.1 points per game and 6.1 assists per game. For the Mountaineers, Eron Harris put up 14 points in the 63-50 win over TCU on Feb. 9. He contributes 2.2 rebounds per game in addition to his 8.5 points per game.
Baylor has a statistical advantage over West Virginia in one significant area, scoring, where the Bears have an edge over the Mountaineers, 75 points per game to 66 points per game. West Virginia will hope to exploit their strength in offensive rebounding percentage in this matchup. Their mark of 37.2 percent in this area ranks second in the conference and 37th in the country.
West Virginia StatSmack
- It's only wins and losses, but Baylor has a better overall record than West Virginia this season (15-8 vs. 12-11).
- Brady Heslip is ranked 4th in the Big 12 in three-pointers.
- Pierre Jackson is ranked 1st in the Big 12 in points, 2nd in the Big 12 in three-pointers, 27th nationally in assists, and 4th in the Big 12 in steals.
- Baylor has a potent offense, scoring more points (75.3 per game vs. 66.6 per game) than West Virginia this season.
- Isaiah Austin is ranked 10th in the Big 12 in points, 2nd in the Big 12 in rebounds, and 6th in the Big 12 in blocks.
- Baylor has a better overall winning percentage over the last five years (68.9 percent to 65.4 percent).
- Baylor has more wins against the RPI Top 50 than West Virginia this season (three vs. zero).
- Since 1998, Baylor has recruited more Top 10 high school players than West Virginia (three vs. zero).
- The Baylor three-point leader (Pierre Jackson, 57 three-pointers) has more three-pointers than the West Virginia three-point leader (Eron Harris, 30 three-pointers).
- Baylor has a stronger schedule than West Virginia this season (SOS Rank: No. 20 vs. No. 44).
- Baylor is a better shooting team (45.3 percent vs. 40.6 percent) than West Virginia this season.