Virginia Tech vs. Virginia: Full Game Preview
|Virginia Tech||E Green 25.3||C Raines 6.7||E Green 4.0|
|Virginia||J Harris 15.9||A Mitchell 9.0||J Evans 4.9|
On Tuesday, Virginia Tech travels to John Paul Jones Arena to take on Virginia. Tipoff is at 7 p.m. EST and you can catch it on ESPN U. The Hokies fell to the Cavaliers 74-58 on Jan. 24 and are 4-5 against them over the last four years.
Virginia Tech is 11th in the conference and Virginia is third. Both teams continue to jockey for position.
In their last matchup on Feb. 9, Erick Green put up 28 points and 5 rebounds for the Hokies in a loss to Georgia Tech, 64-54. He leads the team in points with 25.3 per game, assists with 4 per game, and steals with 1.4 per game. In an 80-69 victory over Maryland on Feb. 10, Justin Anderson put up 17 points and 9 rebounds for the Cavaliers. He is averaging 6.9 points and 3.2 rebounds per game. From a tempo-free perspective, Virginia is strong in defensive rebounding percentage at 72.0 percent. This is good enough for first in the conference and 47th in the nation.
- The Virginia Tech scoring leader (Erick Green, 582 points) has more points than the Virginia scoring leader (Joe Harris, 343 points).
- Virginia Tech has more wins over the last 5 years than Virginia (114 vs. 96).
- Virginia Tech has a stronger schedule than Virginia this season (SOS Rank: No. 89 vs. No. 205).
- Jarell Eddie is ranked 9th in the ACC in three-pointers.
- Erick Green is ranked 1st nationally in points, 9th in the ACC in three-pointers, 6th in the ACC in assists, and 7th in the ACC in steals.
- Virginia Tech has an average margin of victory of 7 over Virginia in 14 wins since 1980.
- Virginia Tech has a potent offense, scoring more points (71.5 per game vs. 63.2 per game) than Virginia this season.
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Virginia Tech currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (976 to 939) than Virginia, per the NCAA.
- Virginia Tech has a much lower out-of-state cost per year according to Kiplinger than Virginia ($30,017 vs. $43,593).
|D+||J. van Zegeren||16||4||3||0||0||1||1|