|Southern University||D Beltran 16.6||B Moore 7.6||J Grace 3.9|
|Mississippi Valley State||D Usher 17.5||M Smith 6.5||D Marshall 2.8|
Southern University heads to Harrison HPER Complex on Monday to take on Mississippi Valley State. The game gets underway at 8:30 p.m. EST. The Jaguars defeated the Delta Devils 88-54 on Jan. 14 and are 2-7 against them over the past four years.
Southern University is in first place in the conference, Mississippi Valley State is in seventh place.
The Jaguars fell 55-52 to Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Feb. 9. Derick Beltran finished with 18 points in the loss. With 16.6 points per game, he leads the team in scoring average. For the Delta Devils, Davon Usher put up 30 points in the 80-75 win over Alcorn State on Feb. 9. He leads the team in points with 17.5 per game and steals with 1.4 per game.
There are two key statistical areas where Southern University has an advantage. The Jaguars have an edge in field goal percentage, 44 percent to 36 percent. In addition, Southern University has an advantage in scoring, 68 points per game to 60 points per game.
Mississippi Valley State StatSmack
- Southern University has come back to win after being down at half against Mississippi Valley State four times since 1999.
- Southern University has a better scoring defense (57.0 allowed per game vs. 72.7 allowed per game) than Mississippi Valley State this season.
- Southern University is better at defending the three (26.2 percent allowed vs. 35.8 percent allowed) than Mississippi Valley State this season.
- Southern University allows fewer rebounds (34.4 allowed per game vs. 39.9 allowed per game) than Mississippi Valley State this season.
- Jameel Grace is ranked 5th in the SWAC in assists.
- Even computers respect Southern University more. Southern University has a better RPI this season than Mississippi Valley State (RPI: No. 196 vs. No. 343).
- Derick Beltran is ranked 3rd in the SWAC in points, 4th in the SWAC in three-pointers, and 6th in the SWAC in steals.
- The Southern University three-point leader (Macolm Miller, 65 three-pointers) has more three-pointers than the Mississippi Valley State three-point leader (Davon Usher, 42 three-pointers).
- Southern University is ranked higher than Mississippi Valley State in the SWAC (No. 1 vs. No. 9).
- It's only wins and losses, but Southern University has a better overall record than Mississippi Valley State this season (16-7 vs. 3-18).
- Southern University is a better three-point shooting team (37.0 percent vs. 29.1 percent) than Mississippi Valley State this season.