Texas Southern vs. Grambling State: Full Game Preview
|Texas Southern||O Strong 17.4||F Sturdivant 7.8||R Penn 5.6|
|Grambling State||T Rose 14.3||B Purvis 5.0||D Copeland 3.4|
Grambling State hosts Texas Southern at Fredrick C. Hobdy Assembly Center on Monday. Tipoff is at 8:30 p.m. EST. The Grambling State Tigers lost to the Texas Southern Tigers 95-50 on Jan. 14 and are 1-9 against them over the last four years.
Grambling State is currently in 10th place in the SWAC and Texas Southern is in third place.
The Grambling State Tigers were defeated by Prairie View A&M 63-53 on Feb. 9 despite 16 points from Terry Rose. He leads the team with 14.3 points per game. In a 61-54 victory over Jackson State on Feb. 9, Omar Strong put up 18 points for the Texas Southern Tigers. He leads the team in points with 17.4 per game and steals with 1.1 per game.
There is one important category where Texas Southern has a statistical edge, scoring, where the Texas Southern Tigers have the upper hand over the Grambling State Tigers, 69 points per game to 49 points per game. When considering the Four Factors, Texas Southern performs well in turnover percentage at 18.0 percent. This ranks second in the conference and 56th in the country.
Texas Southern StatSmack
- Grambling isn't as congested as Houston (population is significantly lower).
- The Grambling State basketball team finishes what they start, with a better graduation rate than Texas Southern (78 percent vs. 31 percent).
- Terry Rose is ranked 32nd nationally in three-pointers.
- Peter "PJ" Roberson is ranked 10th in the SWAC in blocks.
- Grambling State is taller. The average height of the top 8 players on Grambling State is 77.0 inches compared to 74.6 inches for Texas Southern.
- Grambling State has come back to win after being down at half against Texas Southern four times since 1997.
- Grambling State is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Grambling State is 211 lbs compared to 188 lbs for Texas Southern.
- David Copeland is ranked 10th in the SWAC in assists.
- Grambling State has an average margin of victory of 7 over Texas Southern in 23 wins since 1980.