(17-8, 5-3 away)
(18) Minnesota 53
(17-7, 14-3 home)
Venue: Williams Arena
6:00PM ET / 3:00PM PT, February 10, 2013
||T Griffey 16
||T Abrams 6
||T Abrams 6
||A Hollins 16
||E Eliason 10
||A Hollins 4
On Sunday, February 10th, Illinois scored 33 points from three-point territory and pulled off a stunner against Minnesota 57-53 in conference action. The Fighting Illini now have a record of 4-4 versus AP-Ranked teams this season. Tracy Abrams led the Fighting Illini and got five points plus six rebounds. Tyler Griffey had a game-high 16 points and added four rebounds. Austin Hollins got a team-high 16 points and three rebounds for the Golden Gophers. This makes three wins in a row for the Fighting Illini. Illinois (17-8, 4-7 Big Ten) gets Purdue (12-12, 5-6 Big Ten) at home on Wednesday, February 13th.
Illinois Game Notes
- Illinois started 17-8 during the 2009 and 2006 seasons (since 1996).
- Illini beat the spread by 13 points. That makes the 10th time this season the Fighting Illini have beaten the spread.
- The Fighting Illini have won five close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Illinois is 29-33 in close games.
- Prior to this game, Illini played 54 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 17-37.
- The Fighting Illini have won every game this season (8-0) after recording 11 or more three-pointers.
- Illini has won every game this season (6-0) after holding an opponent to under 38.0 percent field goal percentage.
- Illini has won 82 percent of the time this season (9-2) when opponents record 10 or fewer free throws made.
- This season Illinois has won 71 percent of the time (17-7) when Brandon Paul has 10 points or more, 90 percent of the time (9-1) when Tyler Griffey has four field goals made or more, and 91 percent of the time (10-1) when D.J. Richardson has three three-pointers or more.
- Illini set season lows for field goals made (18), steals (four), and turnovers (seven).
- Illinois has recorded fewer rebounds than their opponents for the past four games.
- The top two scorers (Tyler Griffey and D.J. Richardson) accounted for 50.8 percent of the points.
- Tyler Griffey has led the team in scoring in three out of 25 games this season.
- Tracy Abrams has led the team in rebounding in three out of 25 games this season.
- D.J. Richardson has six straight double-digit point games.
- Brandon Paul has seven straight double-digit point games.
- Tyler Griffey had a career high with four three-pointers.
Minnesota Game Notes
- The Golden Gophers have lost two times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Minnesota is 28-26 in close games.
- Austin Hollins accounted for 30.1 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Trevor Mbakwe and Eliott Eliason) accounted for 51.2 percent of the rebounds.
- Austin Hollins has led the team in scoring five times in 24 games this season.
- Trevor Mbakwe has led the team in rebounding 15 times in 24 games this season.
- Trevor Mbakwe recorded the 37th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Trevor Mbakwe recorded a double-double. It was his eighth this season and 31st of his career.
- Eliott Eliason recorded the third double-digit rebound game of his career.