On a day when the Orange scored 30 points from three-point territory, St. John's was trounced by No. 9 Syracuse 77-58 in conference play. The Red Storm go to 2-3 versus AP-Ranked teams this season with the loss. JaKarr Sampson put up a game-high 21 points plus six rebounds in the Red Storm loss. Chris Obekpa had seven points and added five rebounds. Michael Carter-Williams got a team-high 17 points and eight assists (6 Stl 4 Reb) for the Orange. St. John's (15-9, 7-5 Big East) heads to 11th-ranked Louisville (19-5, 7-4 Big East) on Thursday, February 14th.
St. John's Game Notes
- The last time SJU started the season 15-9 was 2010.
- Prior to this game, SJU played 48 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 10-38.
- St. John's has lost 100 percent of the time this season (0-3) after recording 30 or fewer rebounds.
- When the opposition records 77 or more total points this season, St. John's has lost 100 percent of the time (0-4).
- When the opposition shoots a three-point percentage of 45.5 percent or better this season, St. John's has lost 100 percent of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition records 10 or more three-pointers this season, St. John's has lost 80 percent of the time (1-4).
- SJU set a season low for blocks (two).
- St. John's has been outshot by their opponents in free throw percentage for the past four games.
- JaKarr Sampson accounted for 36.2 percent of the team's points.
- JaKarr Sampson has led the team in scoring nine times and in rebounding 7 times in 24 games this season.
- Phil Greene IV has five straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the fifth 20-point game of JaKarr Sampson's career.
- JaKarr Sampson has 11 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the fifth foul out of the season for Sir`Dominic Pointer.
Syracuse Game Notes
- The top two scorers (C.J. Fair and Michael Carter-Williams) accounted for 44.1 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (C.J. Fair and Brandon Triche) accounted for 46.6 percent of the rebounds.
- C.J. Fair has led the team in scoring nine times and in rebounding 10 times in 23 games this season.
- C.J. Fair has 13 straight double-digit point games.
- Michael Carter-Williams set career highs with three three-pointers and six steals.
- Baye Keita set a career high with a 100 percent field goal percentage.