|Illinois State||T Brown 27||J Hill 7||T Brown 5|
|Creighton||D McDermott 24||D McDermott 13||D McDermott 3|
No. 16 Creighton lost in a stunner to Illinois State 75-72 in conference play on Saturday, February 9th. With the loss, the Bluejays tie the season series against Illinois State at 1-1. Doug McDermott got a team-high 24 points and 13 rebounds for the Bluejays, earning a double-double. Grant Gibbs had 16 points and added seven rebounds. For the Redbirds, Tyler Brown got a game-high 27 points and five assists. This makes three losses in a row for the Bluejays. Creighton (20-5, 9-4 The Valley) heads to Northern Iowa (13-11, 6-6 The Valley) on Wednesday, February 13th.
Creighton Game Notes
- The Bluejays have been unlucky three times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Creighton is 31-23 in close games.
- When the opposition records 75 or more total points this season, Creighton has lost 75 percent of the time (1-3).
- The Bluejays set a season high for rebounds (48).
- The last time Creighton recorded at least 48 rebounds was Dec 17, 2011 against Houston Baptist.
- Creighton set season lows for blocks (zero), field goal percentage (37.9), three-pointers (four), and three-point percentage (17.4).
- The Bluejays have turned the ball over more than their opponents in the past five games.
- This is the first loss of the season where the Bluejays opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- This is the 14th game at home this season--Creighton has a 17.5 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Doug McDermott recorded a team season high in free throws attempted with 12.
- Doug McDermott accounted for 33.3 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Doug McDermott and Grant Gibbs) accounted for 41.6 percent of the rebounds.
- Doug McDermott has led the team in scoring 20 times and in rebounding 12 times in 25 games this season.
- This marks the 48th 20-point game of Doug McDermott's career.
- Doug McDermott recorded a double-double. It was his sixth this season and 26th of his career.
Illinois State Game Notes
- The Redbirds won this one, but have lost four times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Illinois State is 41-30 in close games.
- Tyler Brown accounted for 36.0 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Johnny Hill and Jackie Carmichael) accounted for 44.8 percent of the rebounds.
- Tyler Brown has led the team in scoring nine times in 25 games this season.
- Johnny Hill set a career high with seven field goals made.
- This marks the 17th 20-point game of Tyler Brown's career.
- Tyler Brown has five straight double-digit point games.
- Jackie Carmichael has 17 straight double-digit point games.