On an evening when they were outscored 39-18 by the 49ers from behind the arc, Cal State Northridge lost a nail-biter to Long Beach State 83-80 in conference play. Cal State Northridge was up 39-28 at the half, but blew the lead in the second half as Long Beach State came back to win it. The Matadors are now 0-2 against Long Beach State this season. Stephen Maxwell put up a team-high 20 points plus eight rebounds for the Matadors. Trevone Williams had 12 points and added seven rebounds. James Ennis recorded a double-double for the 49ers on 21 points and 10 rebounds. Next up for Cal State Northridge (13-12, 4-9 Big West) is Pacific (13-10, 7-4 Big West) on Thursday, February 14th on the road.
Cal State Northridge Game Notes
- The last time CSUN started the season 13-12 was 2008.
- The Matadors have been unlucky four times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Cal State Northridge is 22-25 in close games.
- The Matadors have lost 80 percent of the time this season (2-8) after having a field goal percentage of 41.3 percent or worse.
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 49.1 percent or better this season, Cal State Northridge has lost 100 percent of the time (0-9).
- When the opposition records 28 or more field goals made this season, Cal State Northridge has lost 86 percent of the time (1-6).
- When the opposition records 83 or more total points this season, Cal State Northridge has lost 80 percent of the time (1-4).
- CSUN set a season low for turnovers (nine).
- The Matadors have recorded more assists than their opponents for the past five games.
- This is the third loss of the season where the Matadors opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- This is the 10th game at home this season--CSUN has a 7.5 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Stephen Maxwell has led the team in scoring nine times and in rebounding 12 times in 25 games this season.
- Josh Greene has five straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the seventh 20-point game of Stephen Maxwell's career.
- Stephen Maxwell has 13 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Stephen Maxwell.
Long Beach State Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Michael Caffey and James Ennis) accounted for 51.8 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (James Ennis and Keala King) accounted for 50.0 percent of the rebounds.
- Michael Caffey has led the team in scoring six times in 23 games this season.
- James Ennis has led the team in rebounding 10 times in 23 games this season.
- This marks the seventh 20-point game of James Ennis's career.
- James Ennis has 23 straight double-digit point games.
- James Ennis recorded a double-double. It was his fourth this season and fifth of his career.
- James Ennis set a career high with eight defensive rebounds.
- This marks the third 20-point game of Michael Caffey's career.
- Michael Caffey set career highs with 22 points, eight field goals made, four three-pointers, and a 100 percent three-point percentage.
- Peter Pappageorge set a career high with five three-pointers.