(12) Michigan State 78
(20-4, 6-4 away)
(12-12, 9-7 home)
Venue: Mackey Arena
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, February 09, 2013
||B Dawson 20
||A Payne 6
||D Valentine 4
||T Johnson 20
||A Hammons 8
||R Johnson 8
On Saturday, February 9th, Purdue took on No. 12 Michigan State and took a home loss to the Spartans 78-65 in conference play. The Boilermakers fall to 1-6 versus AP-Ranked teams this season with the loss. Ronnie Johnson put up 15 points and eight assists in the Boilermakers loss. A.J. Hammons had 13 points and added eight rebounds. For the Spartans, Derrick Nix got 17 points and four rebounds. Next up for Purdue (12-12, 5-6 Big Ten) is Illinois (16-8, 3-7 Big Ten) on Wednesday, February 13th on the road.
Purdue Game Notes
- Prior to this game, Purdue played 50 Top 25 opponents in the last five seasons with a record of 21-29.
- The Boilermakers have lost 75 percent of the time this season (1-3) after having a three-point percentage of 20.0 percent or worse.
- When the opposition records 78 or more total points this season, Purdue has lost 100 percent of the time (0-5).
- When the opposition records 20 or more free throws made this season, Purdue has lost 100 percent of the time (0-4).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 49.1 percent or better this season, Purdue has lost 86 percent of the time (1-6).
- The Boilermakers set a season high for free throws made (22).
- The last time Purdue recorded at least 22 free throws made was Feb 12, 2012 against Northwestern.
- Purdue set a season low for rebounds (27).
- The Boilermakers have turned the ball over more than their opponents in the past four games.
- Purdue has recorded fewer steals than their opponents for the past nine games.
- This is the 14th game at home this season--Purdue has a 6.4 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Terone Johnson accounted for 30.7 percent of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (A.J. Hammons and Rapheal Davis) accounted for 44.4 percent of the rebounds.
- Terone Johnson has led the team in scoring in 11 out of 24 games this season.
- A.J. Hammons has led the team in rebounding in 10 out of 24 games this season.
- A.J. Hammons has four straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the fourth 20-point game of Terone Johnson's career.
- This was the third foul out of the season for D.J. Byrd.
Michigan State Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Branden Dawson and Keith Appling) accounted for 47.4 percent of the points.
- Denzel Valentine has led the team in rebounding three times in 24 games this season.
- This marks the first 20-point game of Branden Dawson's career.
- Branden Dawson set a career high with 20 points.
- Keith Appling has three straight double-digit point games.