On Saturday, February 9th, No. 13 Kansas State came out on top against Iowa State 79-70 in conference play. The Wildcats move to 2-3 versus AP-Ranked teams this season with the win. Rodney McGruder played well for the Wildcats and put up a game-high 22 points and five assists (4 Stl 3 Reb). Thomas Gipson had 16 points and added seven rebounds. Melvin Ejim recorded a double-double for the Cyclones on 13 points and 11 rebounds. Kansas State (18-4, 7-2 Big 12) takes on fifth-ranked Kansas (19-4, 7-3 Big 12) on Monday, February 11th on the road.
Kansas State Game Notes
- The last time K-State started the season 19-4 was 2009.
- The win over Iowa State extended the Kansas State winning streak to four games.
- K-State beat the spread by 3.5 points. That makes the 10th time this season the Wildcats have beaten the spread.
- The Wildcats have won every game this season (5-0) after recording 79 or more total points.
- Kansas State has won every game this season (4-0) when its field goal percentage has been 51.0 percent or better.
- Kansas State has won 89 percent of the time this season (8-1) after committing 14 or fewer turnovers.
- K-State has won every game this season (7-0) when opponents record 27 or fewer rebounds.
- This season Kansas State has won 100 percent of the time (4-0) when Rodney McGruder has 22 points or more, 100 percent of the time (5-0) when Thomas Gipson has four free throws made or more, and 100 percent of the time (5-0) when Shane Southwell has four assists or more.
- The Wildcats have recorded more assists than their opponents for the past five games.
- This is the 13th game at home this season--K-State has a 18.4 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Rodney McGruder and Angel Rodriguez) accounted for 53.1 percent of the points.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (14) than the starters (10).
- Rodney McGruder has led the team in scoring in 11 out of 23 games this season.
- Thomas Gipson has led the team in rebounding in six out of 23 games this season.
- This marks the 20th 20-point game of Rodney McGruder's career.
- Rodney McGruder had a career high with five assists.
- This marks the first 20-point game of Angel Rodriguez's career.
- Angel Rodriguez had a career high with 20 points.
- Martavious Irving has three straight double-digit point games.
Iowa State Game Notes
- The top two scorers (Korie Lucious and Tyrus McGee) accounted for 44.2 percent of the points.
- Melvin Ejim accounted for 40.7 percent of the team's rebounds.
- Korie Lucious has led the team in scoring three times in 23 games this season.
- Melvin Ejim has led the team in rebounding 16 times in 23 games this season.
- Melvin Ejim recorded the 25th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Melvin Ejim recorded a double-double. It was his ninth this season and 16th of his career.
- Melvin Ejim set a career high with six offensive rebounds.
- Tyrus McGee has three straight double-digit point games.