Loyola Marymount vs. Gonzaga: Full Game Preview
|Loyola Marymount||A Ireland 19.8||A Hamilton 6.6||C Flint 4.3|
|Gonzaga||K Olynyk 17.6||E Harris 7.0||K Pangos 3.5|
On Saturday, Loyola Marymount visits McCarthey Athletic Center to take on No. 6 Gonzaga. It starts at 8 p.m. EST and you can see it on ROOT, KHQ or TWCS. The Lions fell to the Bulldogs 88-43 on Jan. 31 and are 1-9 against them over the last four years.
Loyola Marymount is in ninth place in the conference, Gonzaga is in first place. Loyola Marymount is looking to recover from having lost seven games in a row.
In spite of 21 points from Anthony Ireland, the Lions came up short 69-60 against Portland on Feb. 7. He leads the team with 19.8 points per game and 1.6 steals per game. In an 82-56 blowout of Pepperdine on Feb. 7, Kelly Olynyk put up 13 points for the Bulldogs. He leads the team in points with 17.6 per game and blocks with 1 per game.
Reviewing current performance metrics, Gonzaga has an edge in two significant categories. The Bulldogs have an advantage over the Lions when it comes to field goal percentage, 50 percent to 41 percent. Gonzaga also has an advantage in scoring, 78 points per game to 68 points per game. Gonzaga will attempt to capitalize on their strengths, which include effective field goal percentage at 56.5 percent, turnover percentage at 17.5 percent, and offensive rebounding percentage at 37.6 percent.
- Loyola Marymount has a much lower out-of-state cost per year according to Kiplinger than Gonzaga ($28,548 vs $40,345).
- Loyola Marymount has a much lower admission rate (more selective) according to Kiplinger (59% vs 78%).
- Chase Flint is ranked 10th in the West Coast in assists.
- Diaper Dandies love us. Loyola Marymount has recruited more McDonald's All-Americans out of high school than Gonzaga (2 vs 0).
- The Loyola Marymount scoring leader (Anthony Ireland, 456 points) has more points than the Gonzaga scoring leader (Kelly Olynyk, 357 points).
- The Loyola Marymount basketball team finishes what they start, with a better graduation rate than Gonzaga (87% vs 73%).
- The Loyola Marymount assist leader (Anthony Ireland, 90 assists) has more assists than the Gonzaga assist leader (David Stockton, 80 assists).
- At least you keep showing up. Loyola Marymount has an average margin of victory of 11 over Gonzaga in 20 wins since 1980.
|C||Guy Landry Edi||13||4||2||0||0||0||1|