Mississippi State vs. Florida: Full Game Preview
|Mississippi State||F Thomas 10.6||G Ware 6.8||T Bloodman 2.8|
|Florida||K Boynton 13.2||P Young 6.6||S Wilbekin 5.0|
On Saturday, No. 2 Florida hosts Mississippi State at O'Connell Center. Tipoff is at 5 p.m. EST and you can catch it on FSN or Sun Sports. The Gators beat the Bulldogs 82-47 on Jan. 26 and are 3-3 against them over the last four years.
Mississippi State is in 12th place in the SEC and Florida is in first place.
The Gators were defeated by Arkansas 80-69 on Feb. 5 despite 15 points from Mike Rosario. While contributing 2.5 rebounds per game, he also scores 12.2 points per game. The Bulldogs were defeated by Ole Miss 93-75 on Feb. 6 despite 15 points from Jalen Steele. He contributes 2.9 rebounds per game in addition to his 9.3 points per game.
Florida has a statistical advantage in three significant areas. The Gators turn the ball over less, 11 per game compared to 17 per game for the Bulldogs. In addition, Florida has an advantage in field goal percentage, 49 percent to 40 percent. And lastly, the Gators have the edge in scoring, 73 points per game to 61 points per game.
However, the Bulldogs outperform the Gators in blocked shots, 4 per game to 3 per game.
Mississippi State StatSmack
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. Florida has a stronger schedule than Mississippi State this season (SOS Rank: #12 vs #108).
- Scottie Wilbekin is ranked 2nd in the SEC in assists.
- The Florida scoring leader (Kenny Boynton, 278 points) has more points than the Mississippi State scoring leader (Fred Thomas, 223 points).
- We beat real teams. Florida has more wins against the RPI Top 50 than Mississippi State this season (5 vs 0).
- Florida is a better shooting team (49.2% vs 40.9%) than Mississippi State this season.
- The only thing that matters. Florida has more NCAA Championships over the last 10 years than Mississippi State (2 vs 0).
- You get an A for effort, but Florida has emerged victorious against Mississippi State the last 2 times they've played.
- Erik Murphy is ranked 6th in the SEC in three-pointers.
- AP voters think more highly of Florida and have put us in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than Mississippi State (153 vs 69).
- Even computers respect Florida more. We have a better RPI this season than Mississippi State (RPI: #6 vs #227).
- It's only wins and losses, but Florida has a better overall record than Mississippi State this season (18-3 vs 7-14).
|C||M. Frazier II||19||6||4||1||1||0||1|