Memphis vs. Southern Miss: Full Game Preview
|Memphis||J Jackson 13.8||D Stephens 6.7||J Jackson 4.5|
|Southern Miss||D Davis 12.9||J Mills 6.8||N Watson 5.0|
On Saturday, Memphis travels to Reed Green Coliseum to take on Southern Miss. The game tips off at 4 p.m. EST and it can be seen on CBSSN. The Tigers are 8-1 against the Golden Eagles over the last four years. They lost 75-72 the last time they played (Feb. 1, 2012).
Southern Miss is in second place in the conference and nipping at the heels of first place Memphis. Memphis has won its last 13 games.
In a 60-52 triumph over Southern Methodist on Feb. 6, Geron Johnson put up 19 points and 7 rebounds for the Tigers. He is averaging 10 points per game and leads the team in steals with 1.7 per game. For the Golden Eagles, Jonathan Mills finished with 15 points and 9 rebounds in the 60-58 loss to UCF on Feb. 6. He averages 9 points per game in addition to a team-best 6.8 rebounds per game. Southern Miss will hope to exploit their strengths, which include: offensive rebounding percentage at 42.6 percent and effective field goal percentage at 54.7 percent.
Southern Miss StatSmack
- We're a talent magnet. Since 1998 Memphis has recruited more Top 10 high school players than Southern Miss (5 vs 0).
- At least you keep showing up. Memphis has an average margin of victory of 13 over Southern Miss in 45 wins since 1980.
- The Memphis scoring leader (Joe Jackson, 297 points) has more points than the Southern Miss scoring leader (Dwayne Davis, 247 points).
- AP voters think more highly of Memphis and have put us in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than Southern Miss (106 vs 2).
- Memphis is taller. The average height of the top 8 players on Memphis is 77.0 inches compared to 75.4 inches for Southern Miss.
- People just expect us to beat you. Memphis has been the favorite 29 out of the last 36 times.
- We have a history of cultivating talent. Over the past 10 years, Memphis has had more players drafted by the NBA than Southern Miss (10 vs 0).
- Memphis takes less vacation, with more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Southern Miss (8 vs 1).
- D.J. Stephens is ranked 31st nationally in blocks.
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. Memphis has a stronger schedule than Southern Miss this season (SOS Rank: #114 vs #140).
- Memphis is better under pressure, and has defeated Southern Miss in 5 out of the last 8 games decided by 5 points or fewer.