Northwestern vs. Iowa: Full Game Preview
|Northwestern||R Hearn 14.2||J Swopshire 6.7||D Sobolewski 4.3|
|Iowa||A White 13.8||A White 6.0||A Clemmons 3.7|
On Saturday, Iowa hosts Northwestern at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. It takes place at 4:36 p.m. EST and you can see it on Big Ten Network. The Hawkeyes defeated the Wildcats 70-50 on Jan. 13 and are 3-6 against them over the past four years.
Iowa is in ninth place in the conference and trying to catch eigth place Northwestern.
In their last matchup on Feb. 6, Mike Gesell put up 14 points for the Hawkeyes in a loss to Wisconsin, 74-70. He is averaging 9.1 points per game while also contributing a team-high 1.2 steals per game. For the Wildcats, Jared Swopshire finished with 13 points and 7 rebounds in the 75-60 blowout of Purdue on Feb. 2. He is averaging 9.7 points per game in addition to a team-best 6.7 rebounds per game.
- Diaper Dandies love us. Iowa has recruited more McDonald's All-Americans out of high school than Northwestern (11 vs 1).
- Iowa is better at defending the three (28.8% allowed vs 33.9% allowed) than Northwestern this season.
- We make our fans proud. Iowa has a better record at home than Northwestern this season (11-2 vs 8-7).
- It must sting. Iowa has blown out Northwestern by 20 points or more on 5 occasions since 1997.
- AP voters think more highly of Iowa and have put us in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than Northwestern (25 vs 3).
- Iowa can actually jump, with more rebounds (40.1 per game vs 32.2 per game) than Northwestern this season.
- The Iowa steals leader (Mike Gesell, 28 steals) has more steals than the Northwestern steals leader (Reggie Hearn, 25 steals).
- Iowa has a more potent offense, scoring more points (72.2 per game vs 63.9 per game) than Northwestern this season.
- Boom! Iowa humiliated Northwestern by 20 points the last time they played (Jan 13, 2013).
- The Iowa blocks leader (Melsahn Basabe, 24 blocks) has more blocks than the Northwestern blocks leader (Alex Olah, 23 blocks).
|D||J. Montgomery III||3||1||0||0||0||0||0|