(1) Indiana 72
(20-3, 6-1 away)
(16-8, 12-5 home)
Venue: Assembly Hall (IL)
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, February 07, 2013
||C Zeller 14
||C Zeller 9
||V Oladipo 5
||D Richardson 23
||T Griffey 8
||T Abrams 3
Illinois earned an upset victory over No. 1 Indiana 74-72 in conference action on Thursday, February 7th. Indiana was up 41-29 at the half, but blew the lead in the second half and allowed Illinois to come back for the victory. The Fighting Illini move to 3-4 versus AP-Ranked teams this season with the win. D.J. Richardson had a big game for the Fighting Illini and put up a game-high 23 points on 53% shooting in 36 minutes. Brandon Paul had 21 points and added three assists. For the Hoosiers, Cody Zeller finished with a team-high 14 points and nine rebounds. Illinois (16-8, 3-7 Big Ten) gets 18th-ranked Minnesota (17-5, 5-4 Big Ten) on the road on Sunday, February 10th.
Illinois Game Notes
- Illinois started 16-8 during the 2011, 2010, 2009, and 2006 seasons (since 1996).
- Illini beat the spread by 9 points. That makes the 9th time this season the Fighting Illini have beaten the spread.
- The Fighting Illini have won 4 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, Illinois is 28-33 in close games.
- Prior to this game, Illini played 53 Top 25 opponents in the last 5 seasons with a record of 16-37.
- The Fighting Illini have won 92% of the time this season (11-1) after recording 74 or more total points.
- Illinois has won 92% of the time this season (11-1) when its field goal percentage has been 44.8% or better.
- This season Illinois has won 80% of the time (4-1) when Tyler Griffey has 14 points or more, 71% of the time (10-4) when Brandon Paul plays 33 minutes or more, and 100% of the time (4-0) when D.J. Richardson has 4 three-pointers or more.
- Illinois has been outshot by their opponents in three-point percentage for the past 4 games.
- This is the 2nd win of the season where the Fighting Illini came back after being down at halftime.
- This is the 13th game at home this season--Illini has a 4.6 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- D.J. Richardson accounted for 31.0% of the team's points.
- Tyler Griffey accounted for 30.7% of the team's rebounds.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (11) than the starters (10).
- D.J. Richardson has led the team in scoring in 4 out of 24 games this season.
- Tyler Griffey has led the team in rebounding in 4 out of 24 games this season.
- This marks the 5th 20-point game of D.J. Richardson's career.
- D.J. Richardson has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the 22nd 20-point game of Brandon Paul's career.
- Brandon Paul has 6 straight double-digit point games.
- Sam McLaurin had a career high with a 100% field goal percentage.
- This was the 7th foul out of the season for Nnanna Egwu.
Indiana Game Notes
- The Hoosiers have lost 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Indiana is 22-24 in close games.
- The top two rebounders (Cody Zeller and Christian Watford) accounted for 56.6% of the rebounds.
- Cody Zeller has led the team in scoring 13 times and in rebounding 11 times in 23 games this season.
- Cody Zeller has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Christian Watford has 13 straight double-digit point games.
- Jordan Hulls has 4 straight double-digit point games.