|Utah State||P Medlin 16.3||J Shaw 8.4||P Medlin 3.2|
|San Jose State||J Kinney 20.6||C Cunningham 9.0||D Brown 4.2|
On Friday, San Jose State hosts Utah State at Event Center Arena. Tipoff occurs at 10 p.m. EST. The Spartans fell to the Aggies 66-60 on Jan. 11 and are 0-10 against them over the last four years.
San Jose State is currently in seventh place in the conference and Utah State is in fourth.
In their last matchup on Feb. 2, D.J. Brown put up 18 points and 7 rebounds for the Spartans in a loss to Idaho, 66-63. On top of a team-high 4.2 assists per game, he also scores 9.3 points per game. For the Aggies, Spencer Butterfield put up 13 points and 11 rebounds in the 68-46 blowout of Seattle on Feb. 2. He contributes 5.8 rebounds per game in addition to his 10.6 points per game.
Analyzing the differences between the teams, Utah State has an edge in one important area, field goal percentage, where the Aggies have the upper hand over the Spartans, 47 percent to 38 percent. From a tempo-free perspective, Utah State is strong in the following categories: offensive rebounding percentage at 38.5 percent and defensive rebounding percentage at 72.9 percent.
Utah State StatSmack
- D.J. Brown is ranked 3rd in the WAC in assists.
- The San Jose State rebounding leader (Chris Cunningham, 199 rebounds) has more rebounds than the Utah State rebounding leader (Jarred Shaw, 176 rebounds).
- San Jose State is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on San Jose State is 209 lbs compared to 198 lbs for Utah State.
- Chris Cunningham is ranked 43rd nationally in rebounds.
- The San Jose State steals leader (James Kinney, 34 steals) has more steals than the Utah State steals leader (Kyisean Reed, 26 steals).
- The San Jose State scoring leader (James Kinney, 289 points) has more points than the Utah State scoring leader (Jarred Shaw, 284 points).
- James Kinney is ranked 4th in the WAC in points, 4th in the WAC in three-pointers, and 5th in the WAC in steals.
- The San Jose State three-point leader (James Kinney, 34 three-pointers) has more three-pointers than the Utah State three-point leader (Spencer Butterfield, 33 three-pointers).
- Alex Brown is ranked 50th nationally in blocks.
- Kids want to come here. Since 1998 San Jose State has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Utah State (1 vs 0).
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. San Jose State has a stronger schedule than Utah State this season (SOS Rank: #203 vs #272).