Virginia Military Institute outshot Longwood 58%-36% and trounced the Lancers 93-60 in Big South action on Wednesday, February 6th. D.J. Covington played brilliantly for the Keydets and got 25 points plus eight rebounds. Stan Okoye had a game-high 27 points and added seven rebounds. Michael Kessens finished with 11 points and nine rebounds for the Lancers. Virginia Military Institute (11-10, 6-3 Big South) hosts North Carolina-Asheville (14-10, 8-2 Big South) on Friday, February 8th.
Virginia Military Institute Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 5:32 left to go.
- The last time VMI started the season 11-10 was 2011.
- This was the 4th blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, VMI has been on the winning end of 26 blowout games.
- The Keydets have won every game this season (4-0) after recording 93 or more total points.
- VMI has won every game this season (4-0) when opponents record 60 or fewer total points.
- VMI has won every game this season (4-0) after holding an opponent to under 36.2% field goal percentage.
- This season Virginia Military Institute has won 83% of the time (5-1) when D.J. Covington plays 33 minutes or more.
- The Keydets set a season high for field goal percentage (0.576).
- The last time VMI had a field goal percentage of 57.6% or higher was Dec 10, 2011 against Milligan.
- Rodney Glasgow recorded a team season high in assists with 11.
- The top two scorers (Stan Okoye and D.J. Covington) accounted for 55.9% of the points.
- Stan Okoye has led the team in scoring in 15 out of 21 games this season.
- D.J. Covington has led the team in rebounding in 9 out of 21 games this season.
- This marks the 6th 20-point game of D.J. Covington's career.
- D.J. Covington had a career high with 11 field goals made.
- This marks the 43rd 20-point game of Stan Okoye's career.
- Stan Okoye has 11 straight double-digit point games.
- This game was the 3rd double-digit assist game of Rodney Glasgow's career.
- Rodney Glasgow had a career high with 11 assists.
Longwood Game Notes
- This was the 9th blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, Longwood has been on the losing end of 43 blowout games.
- This loss extended the Lancers losing streak to 14 games.
- The top two scorers (Tristan Carey and David Robinson) accounted for 41.6% of the points.
- Michael Kessens accounted for 32.1% of the team's rebounds.
- Tristan Carey has led the team in scoring 5 times in 24 games this season.
- Michael Kessens has led the team in rebounding 17 times in 24 games this season.
- Michael Kessens has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- Tristan Carey has 9 straight double-digit point games.