Wichita State 62
(19-5, 6-4 away)
Southern Illinois 64
(9-14, 5-5 home)
Venue: SIU Arena
8:05PM ET / 5:05PM PT, February 05, 2013
||D Williams 15
||D Williams 7
||M Armstead 6
||T Lindsay 14
||J Early 7
||J Pendleton 2
Though they were a 10-point underdog coming into the game, Southern Illinois edged Wichita State 64-62 in conference action. The Salukis are now 0-2 versus AP-Ranked teams this season with the win. Jalen Pendleton played brilliantly for the Salukis and put up eight points and two rebounds. T.J. Lindsay had a team-high 14 points and added two rebounds. For the Shockers, Demetric Williams finished with a game-high 15 points and seven rebounds. Southern Illinois (9-14, 2-10 The Valley) heads to Indiana State (14-8, 7-4 The Valley) on Saturday, February 9th.
Southern Illinois Game Notes
- SIU beat the spread by 12.5 points. That makes the 9th time this season the Salukis have beaten the spread.
- The Salukis have won 4 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, Southern Illinois is 19-32 in close games.
- The Salukis have won 86% of the time this season (6-1) after recording 15 or more free throws made.
- SIU has won 80% of the time this season (4-1) when opponents record 10 or fewer assists.
- SIU set a season low for turnovers (6).
- Southern Illinois has been outshot by their opponents in three-point percentage for the past 8 games.
- This is the 2nd win of the season where the Salukis came back after being down at halftime.
- This is the 9th game at home this season--SIU has a 0.7 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two rebounders (Jeff Early and Anthony Beane Jr.) accounted for 40.7% of the rebounds.
- Jeff Early has led the team in rebounding in 13 out of 23 games this season.
- Desmar Jackson has 4 straight double-digit point games.
Wichita State Game Notes
- The Shockers have lost 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Wichita State is 25-31 in close games.
- This loss extended the Shockers losing streak to 3 games.
- The top two scorers (Demetric Williams and Tekele Cotton) accounted for 40.3% of the points.
- Demetric Williams has led the team in scoring 4 times in 24 games this season.
- Demetric Williams set career highs with 3 three-pointers, 7 rebounds, and 7 defensive rebounds.
|C||Fred Van Vleet||13||4||1||2||0||0||1|
|B-||A. Beane Jr.||24||8||4||1||0||1||1|