On an evening when they shot 60%, Valparaiso trounced UIC 86-61 in conference action. Valparaiso took a commanding 44-27 lead at halftime and never looked back. With the win, the Crusaders stay undefeated against UIC this season at 2-0. The Crusaders got the win with 10 points and nine rebounds from Bobby Capobianco. Matt Kenney had nine points and added five rebounds. For the Flames, Jake Wiegand got a season-high nine points and five rebounds. Valparaiso (18-6, 8-2 Horizon) takes on Cleveland State (12-12, 4-6 Horizon) on Saturday, February 9th on the road.
Valparaiso Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 8:41 left to go.
- Valparaiso started 18-6 during the 2001 and 2000 seasons (since 1996).
- Valpo beat the spread by 13 points. That makes the 13th time this season the Crusaders have beaten the spread.
- This was the 9th blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, Valpo has been on the winning end of 25 blowout games.
- The Crusaders have won every game this season (4-0) after recording 86 or more total points.
- Valpo has won every game this season (8-0) after holding an opponent to under 36.4% field goal percentage.
- Valpo has won every game this season (4-0) when opponents record 2 or fewer three-pointers.
- This season Valparaiso has won 100% of the time (4-0) when Bobby Capobianco has 10 points or more.
- The Crusaders set season highs for assists (24), field goal percentage (0.6), three-pointers (15), and three-point percentage (0.577).
- The last time Valpo recorded at least 24 assists was Nov 18, 2010 against Purdue-North Central.
- Valpo set a season low for steals (2).
- This is the 13th game at home this season--Valpo has a 18.2 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Ryan Broekhoff and LaVonte Dority) accounted for 40.6% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Bobby Capobianco and Ryan Broekhoff) accounted for 45.4% of the rebounds.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (22) than the starters (10).
- Ryan Broekhoff has led the team in scoring in 14 out of 24 games this season.
- Bobby Capobianco has led the team in rebounding in 4 out of 24 games this season.
- LaVonte Dority had a career high with 3 three-pointers.
- This marks the 17th 20-point game of Ryan Broekhoff's career.
- Ryan Broekhoff has 11 straight double-digit point games.
UIC Game Notes
- This was the 2nd blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, UIC has been on the losing end of 18 blowout games.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (14) than the starters (8).
- Josh Crittle has led the team in scoring 5 times in 24 games this season.
- Josh Crittle has 4 straight double-digit point games.