On Tuesday, February 5th, Purdue took on Penn State and got a road win against the Nittany Lions 58-49 in Big Ten action. The Boilermakers are now 1-5 versus AP-Ranked teams this season with the win. A.J. Hammons earned a double-double in the win with 15 points and 12 rebounds. Ronnie Johnson had a season-high 16 points and added five rebounds. For the Nittany Lions, Devonte (DJ) Newbill finished with a game-high 17 points and seven assists. Purdue (12-11, 5-5 Big Ten) takes on 12th-ranked Michigan State (18-4, 7-2 Big Ten) on Saturday, February 9th at home.
Purdue Game Notes
- Purdue beat the spread by 6.5 points. That makes the 9th time this season the Boilermakers have beaten the spread.
- Purdue has won every game this season (4-0) after holding an opponent to under 30.6% field goal percentage.
- Purdue has won 89% of the time this season (8-1) when opponents record 19 or fewer field goals made.
- This season Purdue has won 71% of the time (5-2) when D.J. Byrd has 4 assists or more.
- Purdue set season lows for three-pointers (0) and three-point percentage (0.0).
- Purdue has recorded fewer steals than their opponents for the past 8 games.
- This is the 3rd win of the season where the Boilermakers came back after being down at halftime.
- A.J. Hammons recorded a team season high in free throws made with 11 and defensive rebounds with 10.
- The top two scorers (Ronnie Johnson and A.J. Hammons) accounted for 53.4% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (A.J. Hammons and Donnie Hale) accounted for 52.3% of the rebounds.
- A.J. Hammons has led the team in rebounding in 9 out of 23 games this season.
- A.J. Hammons recorded the 4th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- A.J. Hammons has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- A.J. Hammons recorded a double-double. It was the 3rd of his career.
- Donnie Hale recorded the 1st double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Donnie Hale recorded a double-double. It was the 1st of his career.
Penn State Game Notes
- This loss extended the Nittany Lions losing streak to 10 games.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill accounted for 34.6% of the team's points.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has led the team in scoring 8 times in 22 games this season.
- Ross Travis has led the team in rebounding 13 times in 22 games this season.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has 6 straight double-digit point games.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill set a career high with 7 assists.
- This was the 2nd foul out of the season for Nick Colella.
- This was the 2nd foul out of the season for Jonathan Graham.
- This was the 5th foul out of the season for Sasa Borovnjak.