Mississippi State vs. Mississippi: Full Game Preview
|Mississippi State||F Thomas 10.5||G Ware 6.8||T Bloodman 2.7|
|Mississippi||M Henderson 19.5||M Holloway 10.1||J Summers 3.8|
Mississippi State visits Tad Smith Coliseum on Wednesday to take on Ole Miss. Tip-off is at 9:00 EST and you can catch it on CSS. The Bulldogs are 6-2 against the Rebels over the last four years. They won 70-60 on 2/9/2012 the last time they played.
Ole Miss is in 2nd place in the conference and Mississippi State is in 11th place.
In their last match-up on February 2nd, Gavin Ware put up 14 points and 7 rebounds for the Bulldogs in a loss to LSU, 69-68. He leads the team in rebounds per game with 6.8 while also putting up 8.9 points per game. For the Rebels, Marshall Henderson finished with 25 points in the 78-64 loss to Florida on February 2nd. He leads the team with 19.5 points per game.
There are two important categories where Ole Miss has a statistical edge. The first factor is turnovers. The Rebels have fewer giveaways, with an average of 11 per game to 17 per game. Additionally, Ole Miss has an edge over Mississippi State in scoring, 79 points per game to 61 points per game. A key area of strength for Ole Miss is turnover percentage at 16.1, which ranks 2nd in their conference (and 11th nationally).
Ole Miss StatSmack
- It must sting. Mississippi State has blown out Ole Miss by 20 points or more on 3 occasions since 2003.
- Mississippi State waxed Ole Miss by 10 points the last time they played (Feb 09, 2012).
- The Mississippi State steals leader (Craig Sword) has more steals than the Ole Miss steals leader (Murphy Holloway).
- AP voters think more highly of Mississippi State and have put us in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than Ole Miss (69 vs 21).
- Kids want to come here. Since 1998 Mississippi State has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Ole Miss (8 vs 1).
- Diaper Dandies love us. Mississippi State has recruited more McDonald's All-Americans out of high school than Ole Miss (2 vs 0).
- Maybe someday you'll play some real competition. Mississippi State has a stronger schedule (including future opponents) than Ole Miss this season (Projected SOS Rank: #93 vs #119).
- At least you keep showing up. Mississippi State has an average margin of victory of 9 over Ole Miss in 38 wins since 1980.
- Mississippi State is better under pressure, and has defeated Ole Miss in 9 out of the last 13 games decided by 5 points or fewer.
- Mississippi State has a better overall winning percentage over the last 10 years (62.70% to 58.47%).
- We have a history of cultivating talent. Over the past 10 years, Mississippi State has had more players drafted by the NBA than Ole Miss (5 vs 2).