|Winthrop||D Henry 11.8||L Brown 6.2||J Jerome 2.6|
|UNC Asheville||J Atkinson 17.3||J Atkinson 7.5||T Meyer 3.9|
On Wednesday, Winthrop heads to Kimmel Arena to take on North Carolina-Asheville. It gets started at 7:00 EST. The Eagles are 4-5 against the Bulldogs over the last four years. They fell 67-55 on 2/25/2012, the last time they met.
Winthrop is in 8th place in the conference, North Carolina-Asheville is in 2nd place.
The 18 points and 6 rebounds by Joab Jerome helped the Eagles to a 66-56 victory over Liberty on February 2nd. He is averaging 8.8 points per game while also contributing a team-high 2.6 assists per game. In a 78-61 blowout of Campbell on February 2nd, Jeremy Atkinson put up 22 points for the Bulldogs. With 17.3 points per game and 7.5 rebounds per game, he has team-best marks in both categories.
There are two important categories where North Carolina-Asheville has a statistical edge. The Bulldogs have the upper hand in assists, 14 per game to nine per game. In addition, North Carolina-Asheville has the edge in scoring, 72 points per game to 60 points per game.
North Carolina-Asheville StatSmack
- Winthrop has a better overall winning percentage over the last 10 years (59.34% to 49.83%).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Winthrop currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (976 to 954) than North Carolina-Asheville, per the NCAA.
- The Winthrop basketball team finishes what they start, with a better graduation rate than North Carolina-Asheville (82% vs 50%).
- Andre Smith is ranked 10th in the Big South in three-pointers.
- Winthrop takes less vacation, with more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than North Carolina-Asheville (5 vs 3).
- It must sting. Winthrop has blown out North Carolina-Asheville by 20 points or more on 3 occasions since 1999.
- Winthrop has a better scoring defense (60.9 allowed per game vs 69.2 allowed per game) than North Carolina-Asheville this season.
- At least you keep showing up. Winthrop has an average margin of victory of 11 over North Carolina-Asheville in 32 wins since 1987.