Iowa suffered a close loss to No. 23 Minnesota 62-59 in conference play on Sunday, February 3rd. With the loss, the Hawkeyes remain winless versus AP-Ranked teams at 0-5 for the season. The Hawkeyes were led by Aaron White, who put up 10 points and five rebounds. Mike Gesell had 11 points and added six rebounds. For the Golden Gophers, Andre Hollins finished with 15 points and eight assists. Next up for Iowa (14-8, 3-6 Big Ten) is Wisconsin (14-7, 5-3 Big Ten) on Wednesday, February 6th on the road.
Iowa Game Notes
- The last time Iowa started the season 14-8 was 2001.
- Iowa beat the spread by 7.0 points. That makes the 9th time this season the Hawkeyes have beaten the spread.
- The Hawkeyes have been unlucky 4 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Iowa has lost 28 close games.
- Prior to this game, Iowa played 39 Top 25 opponents in the last 5 seasons with a record of 6-33.
- The Hawkeyes have lost 83% of the time this season (1-5) after having a field goal percentage of 36.2% or worse.
- Iowa has lost 83% of the time this season (1-5) after recording 35 or fewer rebounds.
- When the opposition records 7 or more blocks this season, Iowa has lost 100% of the time (0-4).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 44.9% or better this season, Iowa has lost 80% of the time (1-4).
- Iowa set a season low for total points.
- Mike Gesell has led the team in scoring in 3 out of 22 games this season.
- Aaron White has 7 straight double-digit point games.
Minnesota Game Notes
- Minnesota won, but did not cover the spread.
- Andre Hollins recorded a team season high in assists with 8.
- The top two scorers (Austin Hollins and Andre Hollins) accounted for 51.6% of the points.
- Austin Hollins has led the team in scoring 4 times in 22 games this season.
- Rodney Williams has led the team in rebounding 6 times in 22 games this season.
- Andre Hollins has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Andre Hollins set a career high with 8 assists.