On Sunday, February 3rd, Villanova allowed 30 points from three-point territory to Providence and was narrowly defeated by the Friars 55-52 in conference play. With the loss, the Wildcats go to 2-1 versus AP-Ranked teams this season. Mouphtaou Yarou secured a double-double for the Wildcats including 10 points and 14 rebounds. Daniel Ochefu also had a decent outing, scoring one point and adding 12 rebounds. Bryce Cotton got a game-high 18 points and six rebounds for the Friars. Villanova (13-9, 4-5 Big East) gets DePaul (10-11, 1-7 Big East) on the road on Tuesday, February 5th.
Villanova Game Notes
- Villanova started 13-9 during the 2003, 2002, 2001, and 1999 seasons (since 1996).
- The Wildcats have been unlucky 4 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Villanova has lost 26 close games.
- Villanova has lost 80% of the time this season (1-4) after recording 9 or fewer assists.
- The Wildcats set a season high for steals.
- The last time Villanova recorded at least 14 steals was Jan 06, 2010 against DePaul.
- Villanova set season lows for field goals made, field goal percentage, three-pointers, and three-point percentage.
- This is the 10th game at home this season--Villanova has a 1.7 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Darrun Hilliard accounted for 32.6% of the team's points.
- Mouphtaou Yarou accounted for 36.8% of the team's rebounds.
- Darrun Hilliard has led the team in scoring in 4 out of 22 games this season.
- Mouphtaou Yarou has led the team in rebounding in 6 out of 22 games this season.
- Darrun Hilliard has 6 straight double-digit point games.
- Darrun Hilliard had a career high with 10 free throws made.
- Mouphtaou Yarou recorded the 26th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Mouphtaou Yarou has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- Mouphtaou Yarou recorded a double-double. It was his 4th this season and 18th of his career.
- Daniel Ochefu recorded the 2nd double-digit rebound game of his career.
Providence Game Notes
- The Friars won this one, but have lost 6 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Providence has lost 30 close games.
- Bryce Cotton accounted for 32.7% of the team's points.
- Bryce Cotton has led the team in scoring 14 times in 22 games this season.
- Bryce Cotton has 10 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for LaDontae Henton.
- This was the 5th foul out of the season for Kadeem Batts.