(14-7, 4-4 away)
Southern Methodist 80
(12-11, 7-4 home)
Venue: Moody Coliseum
3:00PM ET / 12:00PM PT, February 02, 2013
||J Young 17
||T Womack 6
||J Young 6
||N Russell 22
||J Jones 7
||R Manuel 10
On Saturday, Feb. 2, Houston won on the road against Southern Methodist 84-80 in overtime. Southern Methodist jumped out to a 35-18 halftime lead, but the tide turned in the second half and Houston fought back to salvage the win. With a record of 2-0, the Cougars remain undefeated against Southern Methodist this season. The Cougars were led by Joseph Young, who put up a team-high 17 points and six assists. TaShawn Thomas had 15 points and added four rebounds. For the Mustangs, Jalen Jones got 21 points and seven rebounds. Houston (13-7, 3-5 C-USA) gets Tulane (14-8, 2-5 C-USA) at home on Saturday, Feb. 9.
Houston Game Notes
- The last time UH started the season 14-7 was 2008.
- UH beat the spread by 11 points. That makes the 5th time this season the Cougars have beaten the spread.
- Houston has played in three overtime games this season. Over the last five seasons, the Cougars have played in 14 overtime games with a record of 7-7.
- The Cougars have won seven close games this season (a win by five or fewer points). Since 2007, Houston is 31-31 in close games.
- The Cougars have won every game this season (5-0) after recording 84 or more total points.
- Houston has won every game this season (5-0) when its three-point percentage has been 47.1 percent or better.
- This season Houston has won 77 percent of the time (10-3) when TaShawn Thomas has 15 points or more, 80 percent of the time (4-1) when J.J. Thompson plays 30 minutes or more, and 73 percent of the time (11-4) when Joseph Young has five field goals made or more.
- UH set a season low for blocks (two).
- This is the fourth win of the season where the Cougars came back after being down at halftime.
- Joseph Young has led the team in scoring in nine out of 21 games this season.
- Joseph Young has 14 straight double-digit point games.
- TaShawn Thomas has seven straight double-digit point games.
- This was the first foul out of the season for Danuel House.
Southern Methodist Game Notes
- The Mustangs have lost four times this season in games decided by five or fewer points. Since 2007, Southern Methodist is 24-34 in close games.
- Ryan Manuel recorded a team season high in assists with 10.
- The top two scorers (Nick Russell and Jalen Jones) accounted for 53.7 percent of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Jalen Jones and Cannen Cunningham) accounted for 44.4 percent of the rebounds.
- Nick Russell has led the team in scoring nine times in 23 games this season.
- Jalen Jones has led the team in rebounding 12 times in 23 games this season.
- This marks the fifth 20-point game of Nick Russell's career.
- Nick Russell has nine straight double-digit point games.
- Nick Russell set a career high with nine field goals made.
- This marks the seventh 20-point game of Jalen Jones's career.
- Jalen Jones has eight straight double-digit point games.
- This game was the first double-digit assist game of Ryan Manuel's career.
- Ryan Manuel has three straight double-digit point games.
- Ryan Manuel recorded a double-double. It was the second of his career.
- Ryan Manuel set a career high with 10 assists.
- This was the seventh foul out of the season for Cannen Cunningham.