In a low-scoring affair, Cal Poly lost by a slim margin to Long Beach State 50-48 in conference play. The Mustangs tie the season series against Long Beach State at 1-1 with the loss. Brian Bennett put up eight points plus eight rebounds for the Mustangs. Reese Morgan had nine points and added six rebounds. James Ennis got a game-high 23 points for the 49ers, making 5 of 8 from three-point range. Cal Poly (9-11, 5-5 Big West) welcomes Pacific (13-8, 7-2 Big West) on Thursday, February 7th.
Cal Poly Game Notes
- Cal Poly started 9-11 during the 2010, 2002, 1998, and 1997 seasons (since 1996).
- Cal Poly beat the spread by 4.0 points. That makes the 11th time this season the Mustangs have beaten the spread.
- The Mustangs have been unlucky 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Cal Poly has lost 30 close games.
- Cal Poly has lost 100% of the time this season (0-3) after recording 48 or fewer total points.
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 47.2% or better this season, Cal Poly has lost 88% of the time (1-7).
- When the opposition records 6 or more blocks this season, Cal Poly has lost 83% of the time (1-5).
- When the opposition shoots a three-point percentage of 37.5% or better this season, Cal Poly has lost 75% of the time (3-9).
- Cal Poly set season lows for assists and field goal percentage.
- The Mustangs have recorded more rebounds than their opponents for the past 4 games.
- Cal Poly has recorded fewer blocks than their opponents for the past 6 games.
- This is the 5th loss of the season where the Mustangs opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- The top two scorers (Kyle Odister and Reese Morgan) accounted for 41.6% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Chris Eversley and Brian Bennett) accounted for 47.2% of the rebounds.
- Chris Eversley has led the team in rebounding in 15 out of 20 games this season.
Long Beach State Game Notes
- Long Beach State won, but did not cover the spread.
- James Ennis accounted for 46.0% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Dan Jennings and Tony Freeland) accounted for 42.8% of the rebounds.
- James Ennis has led the team in scoring 11 times in 21 games this season.
- Dan Jennings has led the team in rebounding 9 times in 21 games this season.
- This marks the 6th 20-point game of James Ennis's career.
- James Ennis has 21 straight double-digit point games.
- James Ennis set a career high with 5 three-pointers.