In a defensive struggle, Long Beach State snuck past Cal Poly 50-48 in conference action. The 49ers go to 0-4 versus AP-Ranked teams this season with the win. James Ennis led the 49ers and put up a game-high 23 points, sinking 5 of 8 from three-point range. Tony Freeland had nine points and added four rebounds. For the Mustangs, Brian Bennett finished with eight points and eight rebounds. The next game will be on Thursday, February 7th when Long Beach State (13-8, 9-1 Big West) goes to Hawaii (13-9, 7-4 Big West).
Long Beach State Game Notes
- The win over Cal Poly extended the Long Beach State winning streak to 8 games.
- The 49ers have won 6 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, Long Beach State has won 26 close games.
- Long Beach State has won 88% of the time this season (7-1) when its field goal percentage has been 47.2% or better.
- LBSU has won 86% of the time this season (6-1) when opponents record 1 or fewer blocks.
- LBSU has won 77% of the time this season (10-3) after holding an opponent to under 35.3% three-point percentage.
- This season Long Beach State has won 100% of the time (5-0) when Tony Freeland has 4 field goals made or more and 80% of the time (8-2) when James Ennis has 4 free throws made or more.
- LBSU set a season low for steals.
- The 49ers have recorded more free throws made than their opponents for the past 7 games.
- This is the 3rd win of the season where the 49ers came back after being down at halftime.
- This is the 10th game at home this season--LBSU has a 5.0 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- James Ennis accounted for 46.0% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Dan Jennings and Tony Freeland) accounted for 42.8% of the rebounds.
- James Ennis has led the team in scoring in 11 out of 21 games this season.
- Dan Jennings has led the team in rebounding in 9 out of 21 games this season.
- This marks the 6th 20-point game of James Ennis's career.
- James Ennis has 21 straight double-digit point games.
- James Ennis had a career high with 5 three-pointers.
Cal Poly Game Notes
- The Mustangs have lost 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Cal Poly has lost 30 close games.
- The top two scorers (Kyle Odister and Reese Morgan) accounted for 41.6% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Chris Eversley and Brian Bennett) accounted for 47.2% of the rebounds.
- Chris Eversley has led the team in rebounding 15 times in 20 games this season.