Rhode Island 68
(6-14, 2-6 away)
(9) Butler 75
(18-4, 11-0 home)
Venue: Hinkle Fieldhouse
4:00PM ET / 1:00PM PT, February 02, 2013
||N Malesevic 18
||N Malesevic 6
||M Powell 3
||R Clarke 23
||R Jones 6
||R Jones 4
On Saturday, February 2nd, Rhode Island took on No. 9 Butler and was taken down by the Bulldogs 75-68 in conference play. The Rams stay winless versus AP-Ranked teams at 0-2 for the season. Nikola Malesevic put up a team-high 18 points plus six rebounds in the Rams loss. Xavier Munford had 14 points and added three rebounds. For the Bulldogs, Roosevelt Jones got 18 points and six rebounds. Next up for Rhode Island (6-14, 1-6 A-10) is Massachusetts (14-6, 4-3 A-10) on Wednesday, February 6th on the road.
Rhode Island Game Notes
- The last time URI started the season 6-14 was 2001.
- URI beat the spread by 9.0 points. That makes the 10th time this season the Rams have beaten the spread.
- Prior to this game, URI played 10 Top 25 opponents in the last 5 seasons with a record of 0-10.
- Rhode Island has lost 90% of the time this season (1-9) after recording 9 or fewer assists.
- The Rams have lost 82% of the time this season (2-9) after having a field goal percentage of 40.0% or worse.
- Rhode Island has lost 75% of the time this season (3-9) after committing 12 or more turnovers.
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 48.9% or better this season, Rhode Island has lost 100% of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition records 23 or more field goals made this season, Rhode Island has lost 82% of the time (2-9).
- When the opposition records 32 or more rebounds this season, Rhode Island has lost 81% of the time (3-13).
- The Rams set a season high for free throws made.
- The last time URI recorded at least 24 free throws made was Jan 02, 2012 against Boston College.
- Rhode Island has recorded fewer rebounds than their opponents for the past 4 games.
- This is the 6th loss of the season where the Rams opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- The top two scorers (Nikola Malesevic and Mike Powell) accounted for 47.0% of the points.
- Nikola Malesevic has led the team in scoring 4 times and in rebounding 7 times in 20 games this season.
- Xavier Munford has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Jordan Hare.
Butler Game Notes
- Butler won, but did not cover the spread.
- Rotnei Clarke accounted for 30.6% of the team's points.
- Rotnei Clarke has led the team in scoring 13 times in 22 games this season.
- Roosevelt Jones has led the team in rebounding 7 times in 22 games this season.
- This marks the 23rd 20-point game of Rotnei Clarke's career.
- Rotnei Clarke has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 5th foul out of the season for Andrew Smith.
- This was the 3rd foul out of the season for Alex Barlow.