SP Felix Hernandez
Projected 2013 Payroll: $82,682,000
Felix Hernandez is one of the best pitchers in baseball and is worth every penny of the $19.5 million he'll make this coming season, and beyond him, the Mariners don't have much in the way of big contracts.
Michael Morse and Kendrys Morales were brought on board to improve the league's worst offense, and they aren't overly expensive as one-year additions.
The real story in Seattle is the arrival of their top prospects, as Taijuan Walker, Danny Hultzen, James Paxton, Nick Franklin, Mike Zunino, Carter Capps and Stephen Pryor could all make an impact this coming season as rookies.
That will mean significant production at the league minimum, and Jesus Montero, Kyle Seager, Tom Wilhelmsen and a handful of others will join them in making virtually nothing.
Top 10 Highest Paid
1. SP Felix Hernandez: $19.5 million
2. CF Franklin Gutierrez: $7 million
3. LF Michael Morse: $6.75 million
4. SP Hisashi Iwakuma: $6.5 million
5. DH Kendrys Morales: $5.25 million
6. SS Brendan Ryan: $3.25 million
7. OF Raul Ibanez: $2.75 million
8. 2B Dustin Ackley: $1.75 million (pre-arbitration)
8. IF Robert Andino: $1.75 million (projected arbitration figure)
10. C Kelly Shoppach: $1.5 million
10. RP Oliver Perez: $1.5 million
Key Pre-Arbitration Players
C Jesus Montero, 1B Justin Smoak, 3B Kyle Seager, RF Michael Saunders, SP Erasmo Ramirez, SP Blake Beavan, SP Hector Noesi, RP Carter Capps, RP Stephen Pryor, RP Charlie Furbush, CP Tom Wilhelmsen