On Saturday, February 2nd, Saint Mary's scored 33 points from three-point territory and won big against Portland 77-42 in conference play. The game lacked drama, as Saint Mary's led 41-21 at the half and never allowed Portland back in it. The Gaels remain unbeaten against Portland this season at 2-0. The Gaels were led by Jordan Giusti, who put up eight points plus four rebounds. Matthew Dellavedova was active from three-point range, going 5 for 9 to get to a game-high 23 points overall. For the Pilots, Thomas van der Mars finished with a team-high 13 points and six rebounds. Saint Mary's (19-4, 8-1 West Coast) takes on Santa Clara (17-7, 5-4 West Coast) on Thursday, February 7th on the road.
Saint Mary's Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 11:59 left to go.
- Saint Mary's started 19-4 during the 2010 and 2008 seasons (since 1996).
- The win over Portland extended the Saint Mary's winning streak to 7 games.
- SMC beat the spread by 15.0 points. That makes the 11th time this season the Gaels have beaten the spread.
- This was the 7th blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, SMC has been on the winning end of 58 blowout games.
- The Gaels have won 100% of the time this season (7-0) after recording 42 or more rebounds.
- SMC has won 100% of the time this season (4-0) when opponents record 15 or fewer field goals made.
- This season Saint Mary's has won 100% of the time (5-0) when Matthew Dellavedova has 23 points or more and 80% of the time (4-1) when Jorden Page has 5 field goals made or more.
- This is the 13th game at home this season--SMC has a 21.8 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Matthew Dellavedova and Jorden Page) accounted for 44.1% of the points.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (26) than the starters (13).
- Matthew Dellavedova has led the team in scoring in 9 out of 23 games this season.
- This marks the 25th 20-point game of Matthew Dellavedova's career.
Portland Game Notes
- Portland lost and did not cover the spread.
- This was the 6th blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, Portland has been on the losing end of 25 blowout games.
- This loss extended the Pilots losing streak to 6 games.
- Thomas van der Mars accounted for 30.9% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Bryce Pressley and Thomas van der Mars) accounted for 50.0% of the rebounds.
- Thomas van der Mars has led the team in scoring 4 times in 24 games this season.