Santa Clara 79
(17-7, 6-3 away)
Brigham Young 96
(18-6, 13-1 home)
Venue: Marriott Center
9:00PM ET / 6:00PM PT, February 02, 2013
||K Foster 18
||Y Atanga 9
||K Foster 9
||M Carlino 28
||B Davies 11
||M Carlino 6
On Saturday, February 2nd, Brigham Young outshot Santa Clara 58%-38% and smoked the Broncos 96-79 in West Coast play. Brigham Young had a small 47-46 lead at halftime, but then put Santa Clara away with a big second half. The Cougars improve their record to 0-2 versus AP-Ranked teams this season with the win. The Cougars were led by Matt Carlino, who put up a season-high 28 points plus six assists. Tyler Haws had 24 points and added five assists. For the Broncos, Kevin Foster got a team-high 18 points and nine assists. The next game will be on Thursday, February 7th when Brigham Young (18-6, 8-2 West Coast) heads to San Diego (11-12, 4-4 West Coast).
Brigham Young Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 4:57 left to go.
- Brigham Young started 18-6 during the 2011, 2006, and 2002 seasons (since 1996).
- The win over Santa Clara extended the Brigham Young winning streak to 3 games.
- BYU beat the spread by 10.5 points. That makes the 13th time this season the Cougars have beaten the spread.
- The Cougars have won 100% of the time this season (9-0) after recording 41 or more rebounds.
- Brigham Young has won 83% of the time this season (5-1) after committing 10 or fewer turnovers.
- BYU has won 100% of the time this season (9-0) after holding an opponent to under 38.1% field goal percentage.
- BYU has won 100% of the time this season (9-0) when opponents record 33 or fewer rebounds.
- This season Brigham Young has won 81% of the time (13-3) when Brandon Davies has 16 points or more, 73% of the time (8-3) when Tyler Haws plays 35 minutes or more, and 100% of the time (4-0) when Matt Carlino has 3 three-pointers or more.
- The Cougars set a season high for field goal percentage.
- The last time BYU had a field goal percentage of 58.3% or higher was Feb 18, 2012 against Santa Clara.
- Brigham Young has turned the ball over less than their opponents for the past 5 games.
- This is the 12th game at home this season--BYU has a 19.1 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Matt Carlino and Tyler Haws) accounted for 54.1% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Brandon Davies and Brock Zylstra) accounted for 46.3% of the rebounds.
- Matt Carlino has led the team in scoring in 5 out of 24 games this season.
- Brandon Davies has led the team in rebounding in 15 out of 24 games this season.
- This marks the 20th 20-point game of Tyler Haws's career.
- Tyler Haws has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Brandon Davies recorded the 20th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Brandon Davies has 8 straight double-digit point games.
- Brandon Davies recorded a double-double. It was his 7th this season and 20th of his career.
- This marks the 7th 20-point game of Matt Carlino's career.
- Matt Carlino has 10 straight double-digit point games.
- Brock Zylstra had a career high with 8 defensive rebounds.
Santa Clara Game Notes
- Santa Clara lost and did not cover the spread.
- The top two scorers (Kevin Foster and Marc Trasolini) accounted for 41.7% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Yannick Atanga and Marc Trasolini) accounted for 51.5% of the rebounds.
- Kevin Foster has led the team in scoring 12 times in 24 games this season.
- Yannick Atanga has led the team in rebounding 7 times in 24 games this season.
- Kevin Foster has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Kevin Foster set a career high with 9 assists.
- Marc Trasolini has 5 straight double-digit point games.
|B||R. Cowels III||31||13||3||0||2||0||1|