Northern Iowa earned an upset win over No. 15 Wichita State 57-52 in conference play on Saturday, February 2nd. With the win, the Panthers improve their record to 1-4 versus AP-Ranked teams this season. The Panthers were led by Seth Tuttle, who put up eight points plus eight rebounds. Chip Rank had eight points and added three rebounds. For the Shockers, Carl Hall got a game-high 20 points and five rebounds. Northern Iowa (12-11, 5-6 The Valley) takes on Missouri State (7-16, 5-6 The Valley) on Tuesday, February 5th at home.
Northern Iowa Game Notes
- The last time UNI started the season 12-11 was 1999.
- UNI beat the spread by 6.5 points. That makes the 11th time this season the Panthers have beaten the spread.
- The Panthers have won 3 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, Northern Iowa has won 35 close games.
- Prior to this game, UNI played 13 Top 25 opponents in the last 5 seasons with a record of 2-11.
- UNI has won 86% of the time this season (6-1) when opponents record 5 or fewer free throws made.
- The Panthers set a season high for blocks.
- The last time UNI recorded at least 7 blocks was Mar 07, 2010 against Wichita State.
- The Panthers have recorded more three-pointers than their opponents for the past 5 games.
- This is the 12th game at home this season--UNI has a 15.7 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Seth Tuttle recorded a team season high in blocks with 4.
- The top two scorers (Anthony James and Marc Sonnen) accounted for 43.8% of the points.
- Anthony James has led the team in scoring in 5 out of 23 games this season.
- Seth Tuttle has led the team in rebounding in 11 out of 23 games this season.
- Seth Tuttle had a career high with 4 blocks.
Wichita State Game Notes
- Wichita State lost and did not cover the spread.
- The Shockers have lost 2 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Wichita State has lost 30 close games.
- Carl Hall accounted for 38.4% of the team's points.
- The bench recorded more points (30) than the starters (22).
- Carl Hall has led the team in scoring 6 times in 23 games this season.
- Cleanthony Early has led the team in rebounding 6 times in 23 games this season.
- This marks the 3rd 20-point game of Carl Hall's career.
- Cleanthony Early has 13 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 3rd foul out of the season for Cleanthony Early.