Iona was outscored 42-21 from beyond the arc by Canisius and let one slip to the Golden Griffins 77-74 in conference play on Saturday, February 2nd. The loss evens the season series between the two teams at 1-1. The Gaels got a double-double out of David Laury with 11 points and 16 rebounds. Taaj Ridley also had a solid game, scoring a career-high 18 points and adding seven rebounds. For the Golden Griffins, Billy Baron finished with a game-high 23 points and six assists. Next up for Iona (14-9, 8-4 MAAC) is Marist (5-17, 2-9 MAAC) on Thursday, February 7th on their home court.
Iona Game Notes
- Iona started 14-9 during the 2002 and 1999 seasons (since 1996).
- The Gaels have been unlucky 7 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Iona has lost 35 close games.
- The Gaels have lost 100% of the time this season (0-3) after having a three-point percentage of 24.1% or worse.
- When the opposition shoots a three-point percentage of 46.7% or better this season, Iona has lost 80% of the time (1-4).
- The Gaels set a season high for rebounds.
- The last time Iona recorded at least 49 rebounds was Feb 25, 2011 against St. Peter's.
- This is the 5th loss of the season where the Gaels opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- The top two scorers (Taaj Ridley and Lamont Jones) accounted for 41.8% of the points.
- David Laury accounted for 32.6% of the team's rebounds.
- David Laury has led the team in rebounding in 11 out of 23 games this season.
- David Laury recorded the 8th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- David Laury has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- David Laury has grabbed double-digit rebounds in 5 straight games.
- David Laury recorded a double-double. It was the 7th of his career.
- Lamont Jones has 6 straight double-digit point games.
- Taaj Ridley had career highs with 18 points, 7 field goals made, and 5 offensive rebounds.
Canisius Game Notes
- The Golden Griffins won this one, but have lost 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Canisius has lost 24 close games.
- The top two scorers (Billy Baron and Harold Washington) accounted for 46.7% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Chris Manhertz and Jordan Heath) accounted for 42.8% of the rebounds.
- Billy Baron has led the team in scoring 11 times in 23 games this season.
- Chris Manhertz has led the team in rebounding 14 times in 23 games this season.
- This marks the 11th 20-point game of Billy Baron's career.
- Harold Washington has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Isaac Sosa has 6 straight double-digit point games.
- Chris Manhertz has 5 straight double-digit point games.