Morehead State 59
(11-13, 3-10 away)
Jacksonville State 70
(15-7, 8-3 home)
Venue: Pete Mathews Coliseum
5:30PM ET / 2:30PM PT, February 02, 2013
||J Stickler 12
||K Owens 6
||J Stokes 5
||T Gaines 23
||R Boggs 3
||M Leggett 8
Jacksonville State topped Morehead State 70-59 in OVC play on a day when they shot 66%. The Gamecocks got the win with a game-high 23 points and three rebounds from Tarvin Gaines. Ronnie Boggs had 19 points and added three rebounds. Milton Chavis got 10 points and four rebounds for the Eagles. The next game will be on Saturday, February 9th when Jacksonville State (15-7, 7-4 OVC) goes to Tennessee Tech (8-14, 2-8 OVC).
Jacksonville State Game Notes
- The win over Morehead State extended the Jacksonville State winning streak to 3 games.
- JSU beat the spread by 8.0 points. That makes the 8th time this season the Gamecocks have beaten the spread.
- The Gamecocks have won 100% of the time this season (7-0) after recording 70 or more total points.
- JSU has won 89% of the time this season (8-1) when opponents record 59 or fewer total points.
- This season Jacksonville State has won 80% of the time (4-1) when Brian Williams has 18 points or more and 75% of the time (9-3) when Tarvin Gaines plays 31 minutes or more.
- The Gamecocks set season highs for field goal percentage, steals, and three-point percentage.
- The last time JSU had a three-point percentage of 54.5% or higher was Feb 11, 2010 against Tennessee-Martin.
- JSU set a season low for rebounds.
- The Gamecocks have recorded more three-pointers than their opponents for the past 4 games.
- Jacksonville State has turned the ball over less than their opponents for the past 5 games.
- This is the 11th game at home this season--JSU has a 7.2 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Tarvin Gaines accounted for 32.8% of the team's points.
- Tarvin Gaines has led the team in scoring in 8 out of 22 games this season.
- Nick Cook has led the team in rebounding in 6 out of 22 games this season.
- Brian Williams has 7 straight double-digit point games.
- Ronnie Boggs has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- Mason Leggett had career highs with 8 assists and 4 steals.
- This marks the 5th 20-point game of Tarvin Gaines's career.
- Tarvin Gaines has 8 straight double-digit point games.
- Tarvin Gaines had career highs with a 89% field goal percentage and a 100% three-point percentage.
Morehead State Game Notes
- Morehead State lost and did not cover the spread.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (18) than the starters (12).
- The bench recorded more points (39) than the starters (20).
- Kahlil Owens has led the team in rebounding 6 times in 24 games this season.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Taariq Muhammad.
- Drew Kelly has 3 straight double-digit point games.