|Ohio||D Cooper 14.6||I Baltic 5.5||D Cooper 8.2|
|Akron||Z Marshall 12.8||D Treadwell 7.5||A Abreu 5.8|
On Saturday, Akron plays host to Ohio at James A. Rhodes Arena. The game tips off at 5:00 EST and you can catch it on ESPN U. The Zips are 4-6 against the Bobcats over the last four years. They fell 64-63 on 3/10/2012, the last time they met.
Akron is tied with Ohio for 1st in the conference.
In their last outing, behind 15 points from Zeke Marshall, the Zips defeated Bowling Green 68-55 on January 30th. He leads the team in points with 12.8 per game and blocks with 3.7 per game. For the Bobcats, D.J Cooper finished with 23 points and 5 assists in the 69-68 win over Kent State on January 26th. He puts up a team-leading 14.6 points per game, 8.2 assists per game, and 2.1 steals per game.
There is a single key statistical area where Akron can exploit Ohio, rebounding, where the Zips have an edge over the Bobcats, 38 per game to 31 per game. Ohio will hope to exploit their strength in effective field goal percentage in this matchup. Their mark of 56.5 in this area ranks 1st in the conference and 7th in the country.
- Even computers respect Akron more. We have a better RPI this season than Ohio (RPI: #68 vs #105).
- It must sting. Akron has blown out Ohio by 20 points or more on 4 occasions since 1997.
- Akron is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Akron is 215 lbs compared to 204 lbs for Ohio.
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Akron currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (980 to 917) than Ohio, per the NCAA.
- Demetrius Treadwell is ranked 7th in the MAC in rebounds.
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. Akron has a stronger schedule than Ohio this season (SOS Rank: #219 vs #252).
- Akron can actually jump, with more rebounds (38.3 per game vs 31.1 per game) than Ohio this season.
- We just win. Akron has more wins over the last 5 years than Ohio (132 vs 120).
- Zeke Marshall is ranked 9th in the MAC in points, 6th in the MAC in rebounds, and 5th nationally in blocks.
- Alex Abreu is ranked 35th nationally in assists.
- Akron is taller. The average height of the top 8 players on Akron is 78.8 inches compared to 77.1 inches for Ohio.