Portland vs. Saint Mary's: Full Game Preview
|Portland||R Nicholas 13.3||R Nicholas 9.5||D Rodgers 2.6|
|Saint Mary's||M Dellavedova 16.0||B Waldow 5.7||M Dellavedova 6.6|
Saint Mary's plays host to Portland at McKeon Pavilion on Saturday. The game gets underway at 7:30 EST and you can see it on ROOT-NW or CSN-CA. The Gaels defeated the Pilots 60-38 on January 19th and are 8-3 against them over the past four years.
Saint Mary's is in 2nd place in the conference, Portland is in 8th place. Saint Mary's will be looking to extend its six-game win streak.
In their last outing, behind 19 points from Jorden Page, the Gaels defeated San Francisco 67-63 on January 30th. He contributes 1.9 assists per game in addition to his 6.7 points per game. The Pilots were defeated by Santa Clara 70-46 on January 31st despite 8 points and 6 steals from Bryce Pressley. He contributes 2.2 rebounds per game in addition to his 3.0 points per game.
Digging into season numbers, Saint Mary's has the advantage in one key category, scoring, where the Gaels have an edge over the Pilots, 77 points per game to 60 points per game.
- We're so much better than you, we get lazy. Saint Mary's has come back to win after being down at half against Portland 3 times since 2008.
- The Saint Mary's scoring leader (Matthew Dellavedova) has more points than the Portland scoring leader (Ryan Nicholas).
- Saint Mary's takes less vacation, with more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Portland (4 vs 0).
- Matthew Dellavedova is ranked 5th in the West Coast in points, 2nd in the West Coast in three-pointers, and 8th nationally in assists.
- People just expect us to beat you. Saint Mary's has been the favorite 25 out of the last 30 times.
- Saint Mary's has a better conference record than Portland this season (7-1 vs 1-6).
- Saint Mary's is a better three-point shooting team (38.1% vs 29.7%) than Portland this season.
- Even computers respect Saint Mary's more. We have a better RPI this season than Portland (RPI: #61 vs #223).
- Saint Mary's is a better shooting team (49.2% vs 41.8%) than Portland this season.
- Brad Waldow is ranked 9th in the West Coast in rebounds and 7th in the West Coast in blocks.
|D+||T. van der Mars||21||6||5||1||0||1||1|
|C||J. Walker III||25||8||4||1||1||0||1|