|Virginia Tech||E Green 25.5||C Raines 6.7||E Green 4.2|
|North Carolina||J Michael McAdoo 14.7||J Michael McAdoo 8.5||M Paige 4.5|
Virginia Tech travels to Dean E. Smith Center on Saturday to take on North Carolina. Tip-off occurs at 12:00 EST and you can catch it on ACC Network. The Hokies are 1-5 against the Tar Heels over the last four years. They lost 82-68 the last time they played (1/19/2012).
Virginia Tech maintains 10th place in the ACC while North Carolina is in 5th place.
In spite of 30 points from Erick Green, the Hokies came up short 73-64 against Miami (FL) on January 30th. A stat-sheet stuffer, he leads the team with 25.5 points per game, 4.2 assists per game, and 1.4 steals per game. In an 82-70 victory over Boston College on January 29th, Dexter Strickland put up 14 points for the Tar Heels. He is averaging 8.1 points per game in addition to a team-best 1.5 steals per game.
North Carolina has an edge in a single key statistical category, assists, where the Tar Heels have the upper hand over the Hokies, 18 per game to 11 per game. A key area of strength for North Carolina is offensive rebounding percentage at 37.3, which ranks 2nd in their conference (and 45th nationally).
North Carolina StatSmack
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Virginia Tech currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (976 to 963) than North Carolina, per the NCAA.
- Virginia Tech has a much lower out-of-state cost per year according to Kiplinger than North Carolina ($30,017 vs $35,614).
- The Virginia Tech scoring leader (Erick Green) has more points than the North Carolina scoring leader (James Michael McAdoo).
- Jarell Eddie is ranked 10th in the ACC in points and 7th in the ACC in three-pointers.
- Erick Green is ranked 2nd nationally in points, 9th in the ACC in three-pointers, 5th in the ACC in assists, and 8th in the ACC in steals.
- Virginia Tech is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Virginia Tech is 208 lbs compared to 201 lbs for North Carolina.
|D+||J. van Zegeren||16||4||3||0||0||1||1|