Western Kentucky squared off with Troy on Thursday, January 31st and came out on top against the Trojans 65-61 in Sun Belt play. With the win, the Hilltoppers stay unbeaten against Troy this season at 2-0. T.J. Price put on a show for the Hilltoppers and put up a team-high 17 points and five rebounds. George Fant also had a strong game, scoring 13 points and adding nine rebounds. For the Trojans, Hunter Williams finished with a season-high 23 points, including 5-of-8 shooting from three-point range. Western Kentucky (12-11, 6-6 Sun Belt) heads to North Texas (8-15, 3-9 Sun Belt) on Thursday, February 7th.
Western Kentucky Game Notes
- Western Kentucky started 12-11 during the 2009 and 1996 seasons (since 1996).
- The Hilltoppers have won 3 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, Western Kentucky has won 37 close games.
- Western Kentucky has won 100% of the time this season (5-0) when its field goal percentage has been 47.8% or better.
- WKU has won 89% of the time this season (8-1) when opponents record 61 or fewer total points.
- WKU has won 78% of the time this season (7-2) after holding an opponent to under 30.0% three-point percentage.
- This season Western Kentucky has won 75% of the time (6-2) when George Fant has 13 points or more, 100% of the time (6-0) when T.J. Price has 6 field goals made or more, and 80% of the time (4-1) when Jamal Crook has 6 assists or more.
- The Hilltoppers have outshot their opponents in free throw percentage for the past 6 games.
- This is the 11th game at home this season--WKU has a 10.7 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (T.J. Price and Aleksejs Rostov) accounted for 47.6% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (George Fant and T.J. Price) accounted for 45.1% of the rebounds.
- T.J. Price has led the team in scoring in 8 out of 23 games this season.
- George Fant has led the team in rebounding in 6 out of 23 games this season.
Troy Game Notes
- The Trojans have lost 5 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Troy has lost 33 close games.
- Hunter Williams recorded a team season high in points with 23 and field goals made with 9.
- Emil Jones tallied a team season high in assists with 9.
- Hunter Williams accounted for 37.7% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Ray Chambers and Westley Hinton) accounted for 44.0% of the rebounds.
- Hunter Williams has led the team in scoring 5 times in 22 games this season.
- Ray Chambers has led the team in rebounding 9 times in 22 games this season.
- This marks the 1st 20-point game of Hunter Williams's career.
- Hunter Williams has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Emil Jones set a career high with 9 assists.
- Ray Chambers set career highs with 18 points and 8 field goals made.