Penn State 67
(8-13, 1-5 away)
(14-7, 13-2 home)
Venue: Carver-Hawkeye Arena
8:00PM ET / 5:00PM PT, January 31, 2013
||D (DJ) Newbill 20
||D (DJ) Newbill 6
||D (DJ) Newbill 4
||A White 27
||M Basabe 10
||R Devyn Marble 5
On Thursday, January 31st, Penn State fell to Iowa 76-67 in conference play. The Nittany Lions got a team-high 20 points and six rebounds from Devonte (DJ) Newbill. Jermaine Marshall also had a good game, scoring 15 points and adding four rebounds (4 Ast 3 Stl). For the Hawkeyes, Aaron White got a career-high 27 points and five rebounds. Next up for Penn State (8-13, 0-9 Big Ten) is Purdue (11-10, 4-4 Big Ten) on Tuesday, February 5th at home.
Penn State Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 0:37 left to go.
- Penn State started 8-13 during the 2009 and 1996 seasons (since 1996).
- PSU beat the spread by 4.5 points. That makes the 7th time this season the Nittany Lions have beaten the spread.
- Penn State has lost 100% of the time this season (0-5) after recording 32 or fewer rebounds.
- Penn State has lost 100% of the time this season (0-3) after committing 18 or more turnovers.
- When the opposition records 38 or more rebounds this season, Penn State has lost 100% of the time (0-5).
- When the opposition records 6 or more blocks this season, Penn State has lost 100% of the time (0-5).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 40.0% or better this season, Penn State has lost 86% of the time (2-12).
- Penn State has recorded fewer free throws made than their opponents for the past 9 games.
- The top two scorers (Devonte (DJ) Newbill and Jermaine Marshall) accounted for 52.2% of the points.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has led the team in scoring 7 times and in rebounding 5 times in 21 games this season.
- This marks the 7th 20-point game of Devonte (DJ) Newbill's career.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- Jermaine Marshall has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 4th foul out of the season for Brandon Taylor.
Iowa Game Notes
- Iowa won, but did not cover the spread.
- Aaron White accounted for 35.5% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Melsahn Basabe and Adam Woodbury) accounted for 42.1% of the rebounds.
- Aaron White has led the team in scoring 12 times in 21 games this season.
- Melsahn Basabe has led the team in rebounding 5 times in 21 games this season.
- This marks the 6th 20-point game of Aaron White's career.
- Aaron White has 6 straight double-digit point games.
- Aaron White set a career high with 27 points.
- Melsahn Basabe recorded the 14th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Melsahn Basabe recorded a double-double. It was his 1st this season and 10th of his career.