Penn State 67
(8-13, 1-5 away)
(14-7, 13-2 home)
Venue: Carver-Hawkeye Arena
8:00PM ET / 5:00PM PT, January 31, 2013
||D (DJ) Newbill 20
||D (DJ) Newbill 6
||D (DJ) Newbill 4
||A White 27
||M Basabe 10
||R Devyn Marble 5
Iowa squared off with Penn State on Thursday, January 31st and defeated the Nittany Lions 76-67 in conference action. Aaron White played well for the Hawkeyes and put up a career-high 27 points plus five rebounds. Eric May also had a strong outing, scoring seven points and adding three rebounds. Devonte (DJ) Newbill got a team-high 20 points and six rebounds for the Nittany Lions. The next game will be on Sunday, February 3rd when Iowa (14-7, 3-5 Big Ten) travels to 23rd-ranked Minnesota (16-4, 4-3 Big Ten).
Iowa Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 0:37 left to go.
- The last time Iowa started the season 14-7 was 2001.
- The Hawkeyes have won 90% of the time this season (9-1) after recording 18 or more assists.
- Iowa has won 100% of the time this season (7-0) when opponents record 32 or fewer rebounds.
- Iowa has won 91% of the time this season (10-1) after holding an opponent to under 39.7% field goal percentage.
- This season Iowa has won 73% of the time (11-4) when Aaron White has 5 rebounds or more and 89% of the time (8-1) when Mike Gesell has 4 assists or more.
- The Hawkeyes set a season high for free throws made.
- This is the 13th game at home this season--Iowa has a 17.2 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Aaron White accounted for 35.5% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Melsahn Basabe and Adam Woodbury) accounted for 42.1% of the rebounds.
- Aaron White has led the team in scoring in 12 out of 21 games this season.
- Melsahn Basabe has led the team in rebounding in 5 out of 21 games this season.
- This marks the 6th 20-point game of Aaron White's career.
- Aaron White has 6 straight double-digit point games.
- Aaron White had a career high with 27 points.
- Melsahn Basabe recorded the 14th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Melsahn Basabe recorded a double-double. It was his 1st this season and 10th of his career.
Penn State Game Notes
- This loss extended the Nittany Lions losing streak to 9 games.
- The top two scorers (Devonte (DJ) Newbill and Jermaine Marshall) accounted for 52.2% of the points.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has led the team in scoring 7 times and in rebounding 5 times in 21 games this season.
- This marks the 7th 20-point game of Devonte (DJ) Newbill's career.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- Jermaine Marshall has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 4th foul out of the season for Brandon Taylor.