Tennessee Tech 65
(8-13, 3-9 away)
Tennessee State 84
(13-10, 9-1 home)
Venue: Gentry Complex
8:00PM ET / 5:00PM PT, January 31, 2013
||J Dillard 20
||D Ogbe 12
||J Samarrippas 5
||R Covington 17
||K Thornton 10
||P Miller 4
Tennessee State squared off with Tennessee Tech on Thursday, January 31st and pounded the Golden Eagles 84-65 in conference action. This one was all Tennessee State from the opening tip, as they jumped out to a 41-23 halftime lead and then cruised to victory in the second half. With a record of 2-0, the Tigers stay unbeaten against Tennessee Tech this season. Kellen Thornton picked up a double-double in the win including a team-high 17 points and 10 rebounds. Patrick Miller also had a solid outing, scoring 17 points and adding four assists. Dennis Ogbe registered a double-double for the Golden Eagles on a season-high 17 points and 12 rebounds. Tennessee State (13-10, 7-3 OVC) gets Austin Peay (5-17, 1-7 OVC) on the road on Thursday, February 7th.
Tennessee State Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 1:24 left to go.
- The last time TSU started the season 13-10 was 2011.
- TSU beat the spread by 9.0 points. That makes the 11th time this season the Tigers have beaten the spread.
- TSU has won 100% of the time this season (6-0) when opponents record 19 or fewer field goals made.
- TSU has won 100% of the time this season (5-0) after holding an opponent to under 32.8% field goal percentage.
- This season Tennessee State has won 75% of the time (6-2) when Patrick Miller has 17 points or more and 71% of the time (10-4) when Kellen Thornton has 5 field goals made or more.
- The Tigers set a season high for free throws made.
- The last time TSU recorded at least 29 free throws made was Dec 21, 2011 against Alabama A&M.
- Tennessee State has been outshot by their opponents in free throw percentage for the past 4 games.
- This is the 9th game at home this season--TSU has a 18.8 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Kellen Thornton and Patrick Miller) accounted for 40.4% of the points.
- Kellen Thornton has led the team in scoring 8 times and in rebounding 8 times in 23 games this season.
- Patrick Miller has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Kellen Thornton recorded the 10th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Kellen Thornton recorded a double-double. It was his 7th this season and 9th of his career.
- Kellen Thornton had a career high with 6 offensive rebounds.
- Jordan Cyphers has 6 straight double-digit point games.
Tennessee Tech Game Notes
- Tennessee Tech lost and did not cover the spread.
- Dennis Ogbe recorded a team season high in offensive rebounds with 7.
- Jud Dillard accounted for 30.7% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Dennis Ogbe and Jud Dillard) accounted for 48.7% of the rebounds.
- Jud Dillard has led the team in scoring 16 times in 21 games this season.
- Dennis Ogbe has led the team in rebounding 5 times in 21 games this season.
- This marks the 30th 20-point game of Jud Dillard's career.
- Jud Dillard has 12 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 2nd foul out of the season for Jud Dillard.
- Dennis Ogbe recorded the 2nd double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Dennis Ogbe has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- Dennis Ogbe recorded a double-double. It was the 1st of his career.
- Dennis Ogbe set career highs with 7 offensive rebounds and 5 blocks.