Florida International faced off with Middle Tennessee State on Thursday, January 31st and suffered a close loss to the Blue Raiders 66-64 in conference play. Middle Tennessee State was down 36-19 at the half, but came out strong in the second half to get the comeback victory. The Golden Panthers are now 0-2 against Middle Tennessee State this season. Tymell Murphy got a game-high 19 points and 10 rebounds for the Golden Panthers, earning a double-double. Marco Porcher Jimenez had a career-high 15 points and added five rebounds. JT Sulton got nine points and eight rebounds for the Blue Raiders. The next game will be on Saturday, February 2nd when Florida International (11-10, 6-6 Sun Belt) hosts Louisiana-Monroe (3-14, 2-9 Sun Belt).
Florida International Game Notes
- FIU beat the spread by 6.5 points. That makes the 8th time this season the Golden Panthers have beaten the spread.
- The Golden Panthers have been unlucky 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Florida International has lost 36 close games.
- Florida International has lost 75% of the time this season (2-6) after recording 64 or fewer total points.
- The Golden Panthers have outshot their opponents in free throw percentage for the past 4 games.
- Florida International has been outshot by their opponents in field goal percentage for the past 6 games.
- This is the 1st loss of the season where the Golden Panthers opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- This is the 9th game at home this season--FIU has a 3.6 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Tymell Murphy and Marco Porcher Jimenez) accounted for 53.1% of the points.
- Tymell Murphy accounted for 33.3% of the team's rebounds.
- Tymell Murphy has led the team in scoring 11 times and in rebounding 9 times in 21 games this season.
- Marco Porcher Jimenez has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Tymell Murphy recorded the 7th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Tymell Murphy has 12 straight double-digit point games.
- Tymell Murphy recorded a double-double. It was the 7th of his career.
- Tola Akomolafe had a career high with 4 steals.
Middle Tennessee State Game Notes
- Middle Tennessee State won, but did not cover the spread.
- The Blue Raiders won this one, but have lost 2 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Middle Tennessee State has lost 26 close games.
- The top two rebounders (Marcos Knight and JT Sulton) accounted for 43.5% of the rebounds.
- Raymond Cintron has led the team in scoring 4 times in 23 games this season.
- Marcos Knight has led the team in rebounding 10 times in 23 games this season.
- Marcos Knight has 3 straight double-digit point games.