(15-7, 4-3 away)
(13) Michigan State 80
(18-4, 13-0 home)
Venue: Breslin Center
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, January 31, 2013
||T Abrams 16
||T Abrams 5
||T Abrams 6
||K Appling 24
||B Dawson 9
||K Appling 7
Illinois stumbled against No. 13 Michigan State 80-75 in conference play on Thursday, January 31st. The Fighting Illini now have a record of 2-4 versus AP-Ranked teams this season. The Fighting Illini were led by Tracy Abrams, who put up a team-high 16 points and six assists (5 Reb 4 Stl). D.J. Richardson also contributed, scoring 14 points and adding three assists. For the Spartans, Keith Appling got a game-high 24 points and eight rebounds. Illinois (15-7, 2-6 Big Ten) hosts Wisconsin (14-7, 5-3 Big Ten) on Sunday, February 3rd.
Illinois Game Notes
- Illinois started 15-7 during the 2010, 2006, 2001, 1999, and 1997 seasons (since 1996).
- Illini beat the spread by 3.5 points. That makes the 8th time this season the Fighting Illini have beaten the spread.
- Prior to this game, Illini played 52 Top 25 opponents in the last 5 seasons with a record of 16-36.
- When the opposition records 80 or more total points this season, Illinois has lost 100% of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition records 25 or more field goals made this season, Illinois has lost 75% of the time (2-6).
- When the opposition records 15 or more assists this season, Illinois has lost 75% of the time (1-3).
- Illini set a season low for rebounds.
- This is the 2nd loss of the season where the Fighting Illini opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- D.J. Richardson has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 5th foul out of the season for Nnanna Egwu.
- Sam McLaurin had a career high with a 100% field goal percentage.
- Brandon Paul has 4 straight double-digit point games.
Michigan State Game Notes
- Michigan State won, but did not cover the spread.
- The Spartans won this one, but have lost 2 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Michigan State has lost 18 close games.
- The top two scorers (Keith Appling and Gary Harris) accounted for 47.5% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Branden Dawson and Keith Appling) accounted for 51.5% of the rebounds.
- Keith Appling has led the team in scoring 12 times in 22 games this season.
- Branden Dawson has led the team in rebounding 5 times in 22 games this season.
- This marks the 8th 20-point game of Keith Appling's career.
- Keith Appling set a career high with 8 defensive rebounds.
- Branden Dawson has 3 straight double-digit point games.