On Wednesday, January 30th, Long Beach State took on UC-Santa Barbara and just barely got by the Gauchos 57-55 in Big West play. The 49ers improve to 0-4 versus AP-Ranked teams this season with the win. The 49ers got the win with a season-high 16 points and nine rebounds from Tony Freeland. James Ennis scored 16 points and added four rebounds. Taran Brown got 12 points and eight rebounds for the Gauchos. Long Beach State (12-8, 8-1 Big West) takes on Cal Poly (9-10, 5-4 Big West) on Saturday, February 2nd at home.
Long Beach State Game Notes
- The last time LBSU started the season 12-8 was 2000.
- The win over UC-Santa Barbara extended the Long Beach State winning streak to 7 games.
- The 49ers have won 5 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, Long Beach State has won 25 close games.
- Long Beach State has won 80% of the time this season (4-1) when its three-point percentage has been 35.7% or better.
- LBSU has won 100% of the time this season (5-0) after holding an opponent to under 28.0% three-point percentage.
- LBSU has won 75% of the time this season (6-2) when opponents record 7 or fewer three-pointers.
- This season Long Beach State has won 77% of the time (10-3) when Michael Caffey has 10 points or more, 83% of the time (5-1) when Keala King plays 31 minutes or more, and 75% of the time (6-2) when James Ennis has 6 free throws made or more.
- The 49ers set a season high for steals.
- LBSU set a season low for assists.
- The 49ers have recorded more free throws made than their opponents for the past 6 games.
- This is the 9th game at home this season--LBSU has a 5.3 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Tony Freeland and James Ennis) accounted for 56.1% of the points.
- James Ennis has 20 straight double-digit point games.
- Tony Freeland had a career high with 9 rebounds.
UC-Santa Barbara Game Notes
- The Gauchos have lost 2 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, UC-Santa Barbara has lost 23 close games.
- This loss extended the Gauchos losing streak to 3 games.
- The top two scorers (Kyle Boswell and Taran Brown) accounted for 45.4% of the points.
- Kyle Boswell has led the team in scoring 6 times in 20 games this season.
- Taran Brown has led the team in rebounding 7 times in 20 games this season.
- Taran Brown has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- Kyle Boswell has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 2nd foul out of the season for Sam Beeler.